Whatbird Community

A co-worker had this bird visit a bird house he recently made and posted in his yard. I have never seen this bird before and have not been able to identify it. He said it was a bit smaller than a robin. I'm attaching a picture. This is in northern Illinois and he saw this on Saturday, May 18, 2019.

Thanks,

MDawn

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC0wMjc5LWEyZTYtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADJoquZolEFkSP8jpDAP%2FTXgcAM0Yi%2BSNE3Eitw5AcNiW0ggAAAgEcAAAAM0Yi%2BSNE3Eitw5AcNiW0ggACRMAv2AAAAAESABAAdskOWOk5W0y49l2HVMwDhA%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=2019051303.07&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=uN3YUpSJBUexVQFRcfuFoHAmm-qL39YYH5-ItPiApiFdtFIcRijmCxFerABHjMQfkJs0ZHVv0RQ.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.TpJ8oh4tnoIc_i7jLTdJMUJfkFbmMXHoYewNYzjCe700c_rdO0aRjyShtDBCJrDSQnPFh0aaDEQoveJZxAoiJ_4VJBJ7E2pN9AEHcLM1U1jyYXoYw9w2ZztJuRVIg48Q0d7c6d1rZj1vj1JzK6RoQfSOQP_Zr2CbflMHmXVNaIiUfMU_RC0rbOuhCKxnGVSDmtGMiMkbOTkqLZwUxz1ux-27nw-DA8UM4dhNT6eb6h1-g-2xB4wWxvtrG_rz9ChW0r59bNz3eK5pA6aMLfIrfpJ0-Cz3e6Gng9gM1VOWhjGClCoNdizzURB_GtFsFwrtLS834XWpMr3EI2GkO4rqLA&animation=true

Would your answer change if I said the bird was iridescent blue and a white front? I was given wrong information by the person who took the picture.

Thank you for your quick response!

MDawn

I'm not seeing the attachment.

10 minutes ago, mdawn said:

Would your answer change if I said the bird was iridescent blue and a white front?

No. An iridescent blue to greenish color is typical of a tree swallow... and the underside is all white. 
How'd you see the picture Sean?

10 hours ago, millipede said:

How'd you see the picture Sean?

I saw the thread when it was first posted, and there was a photo then.

Posted (edited)

Agree with millipede...In direct sun, male tree swallows are iridescent (usually blue.) On an overcast day, they can appear black or gray. Females are mostly black/gray but sometimes have some blue.

Edited by G_kayaker

Posted (edited)

Is there something I need to do differently to attach the picture to make it viewable to everyone?

Also, the co-worker who saw this bird said the male goes into the bird house while the female sits on the birdhouse perch. Is this common behavior? They seem to be building a nest in the birdhouse.

Edited by mdawn
Add some text

Welcome to Whatbird, @mdawn. I suggest that you try reposting the pic again. Quite often when a pic disappears, it's because the the photo was removed or renamed after being IDed. If that's not the case, then there's a glitch somewhere and the photo needs to be reposted.