Whatbird Community
angelhelp

Marsh wren? He seems way too big

Posted (edited)

Watertown, SD here...  My best guess on this fellow is that he’s a marsh wren based on coloring. However, this is the east side of my house, not a wetland and he’s not hiding. He’s way too big to be a wren according to the reference on id.whatbird. Any thoughts? He arrived this week, nearly concurrent with the Bullock’s and Baltimore orioles and is noticeably longer and thicker than the many house sparrows here. Any thoughts?

22BE0AA3-1AD6-42CC-ABAF-2D0540B4AE18.jpeg

3D566CC0-D190-427C-B99E-BEFBCC908F99.jpeg

Edited by angelhelp
Uploaded wrong photos

Posted (edited)

It's actually a she!

EDIT: Given range, I think it could be tough to actually narrow it between the two grosbeaks from the picture. Range definitely favours Rose-breasted but it's definitely not impossible to be a Black-headed.

Edited by egosnell2002

Ah... we’ve definitely had rose-breasted grosbeaks... 2 males. We’re new to this area, having moved from western CT, and many of CT’s “commonly seen” birds are completely new to me. That said, these then would be female grosbeaks, yes?

I was scratching my head at that one... but I could see it being a grosbeak now that it's been suggested.

angelhelp, welcome. I can't zoom in on the musical piece without it getting too blurry to see what it is and I am an extremely curious person so...  🙂  what's that music? 

It’s a children’s piece by Kabalevsky (for piano) that I played many decades ago. I’m a pianist among other things, but uploading photos from an I-device means that all you see are tiny little squares in a grid that’s 4 across, hard to distinguish, so you have to count from a “landmark” photo to get to the pic you really wanted to upload . That’s why I had to edit the bird pictures; I’d mistakenly uploaded some house finches, lol! Anywho, there were several photos of sheet music buried in the IPad’s photos, and I grabbed one. This bird in my pictures didn’t have any interest in facing toward me, making the identification that much more challenging. I’d been wondering where the female grosbeaks were, given that we’d had 2 different males as regular visitors. One male’s magenta bib came to the usual point at the bottom, but continued in a streak down toward the tummy. It’s how I distinguish him from “the other male”, lol.