Whatbird Community
jackalope22

What small Bird is this? I though a (F) Goldfinch but loooks different?

Another small bird - (PHOTO ATTACHED) found May 23rd, 2019 near Waterloo Iowa. 

At first I thought a  female goldfinch but don't really see any hints of yellow. Sorry could not get its underside. The head and shoulders is what threw me.

Thanks for any help!

824928415__AA_Whatbird6H3A2585_05232019.thumb.jpg.8bae6926fdbb59c4d456465f6d16d667.jpg 

My best guess based on color, markings, and location would be Western Wood Pewee. But I'm no expert, so wait for others to weigh in.

No I don't think it is a Pewee - but funny the next bird (see attached) I believe is one - wasn't sure if a Tufted titmouse. or Pewee.

The bird in question - I'm sure on my exposure has a deep olive- gray colors and stronger wing band marking.

_Pewee or Tufted_whatbird.jpg

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure the first bird is a Myiarchus flycatcher (likely Great Crested) because of the gray cheeks and very short primary projection.  What's odd is it is not showing any rufous in the wings or tail.  Do you have any more photos of Bird #1?

The bird in the second photo is indeed an Eastern Wood-Pewee (note the very long primaries, the wingbars, and the hooked bill with orange lower mandible).

Edited by The Bird Nuts

Posted (edited)

Thank You for the ID on the Easter Pewee - that has me excited because not easy to spot one of these in our area except for migrations.

I am still leaning my first image is a Least Flycatcher (I  only have the two photos and none showing belly). If you compare my image to the one in this link you might think they were brothers! 

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/least-flycatcher#photo4

Edited by jackalope22

1 minute ago, jackalope22 said:

Thank You for the ID on the Easter Pewee - that has me excited because not easy to spot one of these in our area except for migrations.

I am still leaning my first image is a Least Flycatcher (I  only have the two photos and none showing belly). If you compare my image to the one in this link you might think they were brothers! 

The first bird is certainly not a Least Flycatcher.  Leasts have prominent white eyerings and smaller bills, and they lack the gray cheeks your bird shows.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jackalope22 said:

Okay - those are the little things I miss ...I just don't see the yellow and It doesn't have brown tail feathers on my bird that are prominent on the Great Crested - could it be the Acadian Flycatcher. the other person mentioned.  Those do enter my area in Iowa.     

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Acadian_Flycatcher/id

Acadians also have eyerings and no gray cheeks/auriculars and they have longer primaries.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

Based on the details and your notes - I  totally AGREE with the Great Crested!  

You have been very helpful - thanks!

Thanks - a second confirmation is always welcome. When it gets to these small birds  - it does get difficult because of minute similarities. I appreciate the help.