Whatbird Community

Sorry for the non-bird query.  I thought I remembered there being a forum here for IDing mammals, etc.  (Perhaps that was done away with during the recent “housecleaning” that occurred.)  Either way, I did capture this photo while on one of my many birding “stakeouts” recently, so…

47931813802_f71920fe74_b.jpgP1840727e by sbutk, on Flickr

47931825621_f1e993338d_b.jpgP1840726e by sbutk, on Flickr

Photos were taken sometime earlier this month at Oldham Pond in North Haledon, NJ.  The best online photo match I can find for this particular critter is a mink. 

Can someone [more experienced than I am; or more comfortable with IDs] please confirm? 

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, American Mink.

4 minutes ago, MerMaeve said:

I agree with Mink.

Thank you, both.  👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, American Mink.

P.S.  I notice in your Yard Bird list, you mention a Green Heron.  ...Coincidentally, I just shot one today, in the same location as the mink ...I think.

Is this, in fact, a Green Heron - as opposed to a Least Bittern?  I've heard they have a reputation for being incredibly difficult to tell apart at times!

47932001221_33ef848876_b.jpgP1920720er by sbutk, on Flickr

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yep, that's a Green Heron.

Thanks again.  Would you be able to comment on any of the field marks to distinguish the two species in question?

Sure.  Least Bitterns have almost completely yellowish/pale bills and tan/brown faces, necks, and wing coverts.  Young Green Herons are closer to Least Bitterns than the adults.  Both young GRHEs and LEBIs have yellow bills, but the young GRHEs have green ceres.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Sure.  Least Bitterns have almost completely yellowish/pale bills and tan/brown faces, necks, and wing coverts.  Young Green Herons are closer to Least Bitterns than the adults.  Both young GRHEs and LEBIs have yellow bills, but the young GRHEs have green ceres.

Appreciate the education.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, sbutk said:

Either way, I did capture this photo while on one of my many birding “stakeouts” recently, so…

Now the next logical step is to open your iNaturalist account and continue down the rabbit hole.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Mark5 said:

Now the next logical step is to open your iNaturalist account and continue down the rabbit hole.

😆 

...👍