Whatbird Community

All from 5/19 in Chicago. For those from the area they were specifically from the nice little West Ridge Nature Reserve.

1)  I am really confused as to what type of flycatcher this is.

47933575011_8eb7a33bb1_z.jpgDSC08554r by Mark Ross, on Flickr

2)  Trail's?

47933564352_f0b4ab5e83_z.jpgDSC08397r by Mark Ross, on Flickr

3)  I am at a loss.  I thought it was a thrush when seen in the field.  But no eye ring and the feet are the wrong color.  Any thoughts?  3 photos.

47933564282_82f7a2c83c_z.jpgDSC08389r by Mark Ross, on Flickr

47933564372_733e67d81e_z.jpgDSC08388r by Mark Ross, on Flickr

47933564407_bb295076c5_z.jpgDSC08387r by Mark Ross, on Flickr

Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For #1 ... If I saw that here in Florida, I'd call it an Eastern Phoebe, but would be open to other suggestions.

Or maybe a Pewee.

Edited by cvanbosk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Primary projection on #1 is way too long for a phoebe and its head is too small compared to its body.  I'd say it's an Eastern Wood-Pewee (based on range).  I agree with Veery for #3.

Do you have any more photos of #2?

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2

No more photos of #2.  We did see a Great Crested in the area but I did not think the belly on #2 looked yellow enough GCFL.

For #1 I also initially thought Phoebe but the wing bars and partial eye ring looked wrong to me.  I never thought I would mix up a Phoebe and an Eastern Wood-Pewee.

Thanks for all the responses.  I am out of likes for now.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mark5 said:

For #1 I also initially thought Phoebe but the wing bars and partial eye ring looked wrong to me.  I never thought I would mix up a Phoebe and an Eastern Wood-Pewee.

Well...young Eastern Phoebes can show a faint eye-ring, and many photos of adults show something similar to what I am seeing here. To me the wing bars look fine for Phoebe. I agree with TBN that the primaries are a tad long for Phoebe. But then I can't get past what looks to be a small all dark bill.

4 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Did you happen to notice any tail pumping? :classic_ninja:

No.  Only saw for a few seconds before it flew. 

I'd say that both #1 and #2 are Eastern Wood-Pewee.  They both seem to have very long primary projections.  On #2, it looks like there are the smudgy undertail coverts.  Agree the bill appears dark on #1, but that may be a photo artifact, and I'd trust the structural appearance over that detail.

Agree with Veery for #3.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, guy_incognito said:

I'd say that both #1 and #2 are Eastern Wood-Pewee.  They both seem to have very long primary projections.  On #2, it looks like there are the smudgy undertail coverts.  Agree the bill appears dark on #1, but that may be a photo artifact, and I'd trust the structural appearance over that detail.

Agree with Veery for #3.

Agreed. 

• Like 1