Whatbird Community
dpinkerton

Sorry, another Flycatcher. Acadian?

Posted (edited)

Seen this morning in western PA.  I want to call this Acadian as the primaries seem longer-ish and the color more olive.  However, the eye-ring seems very bold to me which would be more Least.  Still Acadian?  These Flycatchers are tough!!

20190529-850_0756.jpg

20190529-850_0758.jpg

Edited by dpinkerton

Posted (edited)

Answering my own question after finding a great document explaining the differences between the empids.  Angle of the forehead is very shallow/gradual on Acadian vs a steep angle on the Least so I'm pretty sure this is Acadian.

Edited by dpinkerton

14 minutes ago, dpinkerton said:

Answering my own question after finding a great document explaining the differences between the empids.  Angle of the forehead is very shallow/gradual on Acadian vs a steep angle on the Least so I'm pretty sure this is Acadian.

Was the document online? If so, would you post a link? Thanks.

2 hours ago, dpinkerton said:

Sure!  It's a PDF.  I found it here.  Extremely helpful.

TY dpinkerton, I NEED this! 😮

Nice picture.  It makes it easy to pick apart the subtle differences between Least, Alders, Acadian, Willow etc.  But even then the bird may be juvenile or the light might be a little off.  I still think the only sure way to tell them apart is by their call.  The Acadian gives a simple "Peesweet".  This time of the year they are pretty vocal.  You could go back and listen for and ID.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Metaquatic said:

Nice picture.  It makes it easy to pick apart the subtle differences between Least, Alders, Acadian, Willow etc.  But even then the bird may be juvenile or the light might be a little off.  I still think the only sure way to tell them apart is by their call.  The Acadian gives a simple "Peesweet".  This time of the year they are pretty vocal.  You could go back and listen for and ID.

Thanks for that reminder.  I'm definitely going to have to be more aware of this in the future and remember to catch a recording.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dpinkerton said:

Sure!  It's a PDF.  I found it here.  Extremely helpful.

'Primary Extension'!  I've been looking at that all wrong!  I thought it was how far the primaries extended down the tail, not how far they extended beyond the secondaries!

dpinkerton is my new hero!  (At least until tonight's Big Bang Theory reruns.)

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 11:10 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

'Primary Extension'!  I've been looking at that all wrong!  I thought it was how far the primaries extended down the tail, not how far they extended beyond the secondaries!

I thought this until fairly recently also.

On 5/30/2019 at 12:10 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

You're not the only one. I had pretty much given up on IDing some flycatchers because I could never figure out how people gauged the primary projection in relation to the tail. :classic_blush: Now that I know what to look for, I will be paying closer attention to the less obvious flycatchers.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

You're not the only one. I had pretty much given up on IDing some flycatchers because I could never figure out how people gauged the primary projection in relation to the tail. :classic_blush: Now that I know what to look for, I will be paying closer attention to the less obvious flycatchers.

I vaguely remember seeing a similar explanation some years ago, but the import of it all was thoroughly lost on one who's understanding of bird parts was limited to broader designations such as wings and tail. :classic_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1