Whatbird Community

Unfamiliar bird song

Hmm.  Seems I've run into technical difficulties...

For whatever reason, when I try to link to the uploaded video on my 3rd party hosting site, only the still image (vidcap) appears in my forum post.

So instead I tried uploading my video directly into the forum post [like I think I've been successful in doing once before] - but when the video upload is 99% complete, it stops and gives me a "-200" error.  Does anyone know what this means, and how to get around it?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I had that problem yesterday (also with photos). I just refreshed the page and it worked fine. 

Thanks.  I'll give it another go, and try to think of something else if I still have problems...  👍

8 hours ago, Paul Contreras said:

Offhand, I'd say it's not a match.  Being a novice when it comes to bird calls, I assume "pattern/rhythm" is important, besides "voice"?  This bird that I've recorded here has had the exact same song upon multiple observations.  Never have caughta glimpse of the bird, though.

6 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm not sure if I'm hearing two birds at once or not, but I think it sounds kind of like a Baltimore Oriole.  And, yes, that's an American Robin at 3 seconds.

I'd say Baltimore Oriole is a distinct possibility, since I've seen them in the area rather sporadically.  Still, I've played ever BO song & call on both my Audubon and Merlin apps and - while the voice/pitch sound similar, the patterns certainly don't.  And as I mentioned above, this mysterious bird has the same song, day in and day out.

Hoping to try again soon for a better recording; or even a glimpse of the culprit...

6 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Baltimore Oriole songs vary from individual to individual.  I'm not sure they have any "default" songs.

Hmm, very interesting.  Good to know, thanks. ...So I'd say that possibility remains a good candidate for my "mystery bird".

Curious... Are there other species for which that's true?