Whatbird Community

Yesterday (5/31/19) at dusk, I briefly spotted a uniquely marked bird visiting my hummer feeder. It had a red or deep orange crown, possibly entire head. The body appeared black/white or gray/white. It hovered a moment before landing, exactly the way my ruby-throats do. The low light and brief visit didn't allow time for great details, much less a pic.

My first thought was a downy woodpecker due to petite size, but I don't know if hovering is something they do. My other thought was a rufous, but I think that's a winter bird in my area.

I'm very new to birding but have recently done a lot of research on common birds in west GA. I live in a heavily wooded area, only water source is a neighbor's one acre lake about 1/4 mi away. I feel there are possibilities I'm unaware of.

Any ideas on what type of bird this could be?

Thanks! Kym

Woodpeckers have been known to visit nectar feeders. Also many birds can hover for a very brief time - a second or two - but most can't hold a position in mid-air and make the sharp turns that hummers do. I do believe that Rufous Hummingbird would be extremely unlikely this time of year, and they don't have black-and-white bodies. Were you able to get a sense of size (remembering that it can fool you every time LOL)? If you have a camera, try to watch out for the bird and see if you can get a photo.

• Thanks 1