Whatbird Community

I have a pair of Eastern Phoebes that nest on the side of my house every year. previous years they lay four eggs and three normally survive. This year they have five! 

DSCN6301.JPG

• Like 4

Update on the Phoebes. Four of the Phoebes are now flying one did not survive.

These Mississippi Kites have nested by my house the last two years. the first year they had three chicks, last year they had two. I hope they have three!

DSCN6394.JPG

DSCN6366.JPG

• Like 3

This is part of a large colony of Cliff Swallows at the Yukon River Camp, Dalton Highway, Alaska. 

52828B85-B7FC-4198-A699-489D60308BC0.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm a beginner birdwatcher, so I spent forever trying to work out what type of swallow makes these amazing gourd-like mud nests but looks like the adults I saw flying in and out of them.  But finally I worked out that they're house sparrows unless I'm very much mistaken!

So is this common behavior?  The pictures were taken in Syracuse, upstate New York, July 11th, under the concrete overhang of a strip mall.  There was one of these mud nests in each corner on the inside of the pillars.  Two of them were occupied by these sparrows, while the rest seemed empty.  Could this be a sign of a resident cliff swallow population from a previous year, or is there something else going on here?

Thanks!

Gavin

House sparrows reusing cliff swallow nests.jpg

Welcome to Whatbird, @Gavin!

The top pictures are House Sparrows as well as the one on the bottom left. However, the bottom right image looks like a juvenile Cliff Swallow to me.

It is common to have House Sparrows take over Cliff Swallow nests but I guess all of the nests are not gone yet, though.