Whatbird Community

I would like to know what kind of bird this is in Crown Point Indiana. There is a small tuft on the back of his head and is pure white. He was perched on top of shed on 6/5/19. I have a picture but I couldn't get link to work. 

Welcome to Whatbird!  There's a good chance that it's a pigeon. 

The best way to post pictures here is probably to upload them to a hosting site such as Flickr and put the link here.

• Like 1

I agree Rock Pigeon is a good guess.  I looked in your area and there are Ring-billed Gulls and Herring Gull at Cedar Lake and Lemon Lake near you.  All three like to perch on roof tops.

Try to get that picture up.

• Like 1

Beautiful Pigeon.  This could be a racing pigeon.  I am sure someone around here knows more about domestic pigeons.

• Like 1

I am thinking that white pigeons are less popular for racing because they are more conspicuous and vulnerable. But @Pigeon would know.

• Like 1

I thought there was a band at first but couldn't really tell for sure. 

Not a racing pigeon. They do not have crests. Guess would be some type of highflier or tumbler. 

• Like 1

And Ham is correct. Very few white racing pigeons due to predators and the fact that their flight feathers wear much faster than dark birds. Most white racers are used for special events such as weddings and deaths, where their flights back to their home lofts are fairly short. 

• Like 1