Whatbird Community

I don't know if there is enough information to identify this bird.  However, I think this may be a Common Nighthawk, due to the stripes on the underside of the wing.

Habitat: High-dessert, juniper forest, scrub-land.

Date: June 3

Common Nighthawk 1.JPG

Can we eliminate Lesser Nighthawk from these pics? Habitat fits better for them.

1 hour ago, Creeker said:

Can we eliminate Lesser Nighthawk from these pics? Habitat fits better for them.

This is true, but according to my Sibley's CO is out of range for Lessers except for a few rare sightings. I couldn't ID from the photos alone which species. I should have said most likely Common based on range.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Creeker said:

In addition to range, I think we can see the longer wings, the lack of warm buffy color, and the placement of the white bar farther from the wingtip that make these Common.  The habitat is fine for Common Nighthawks in northern New Mexico, where I am.

By the way, in my Sibley the regular range of Lesser in N.M. goes well north of where it should.  It should barely get halfway up the state, as shown in the eBird map.

https://ebird.org/map/lesnig?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2019

8 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

By the way, in my Sibley the regular range of Lesser in N.M. goes well north of where it should. 

If that's the first edition of Sibley, it's probably out of date.  I wonder if I'll remember to check my 2nd ed. when I get home?

On 6/7/2019 at 5:22 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

If that's the first edition of Sibley, it's probably out of date.  I wonder if I'll remember to check my 2nd ed. when I get home?

It's the 2014 edition (and when the first edition came out, there were no Lessers up here either).

Thank you all, for this great feedback. It seems like I was in a part of the country where both varieties overlap. Again, thank you all for your efforts.