Whatbird Community
Jodi Jones

Ground Nesting Wisconsin Bird

Yesterday I was walking outside at lunch at work in south central Wisconsin when I had the bird in the close up start acting aggressively towards me, screeching and running at me with her tail wide spread (she is so pretty!).  At first I didn't get what was up but then I realized camouflaged in the wood chips behind her were 4 brown speckled eggs.  They were doing tree planting not too far from her so she was way agitated. 

Today I cycled back to see if she was still there and work nicely put nesting bird signs up for her to allow her space to not be stirred up since as you can see she laid her eggs right next to the sidewalk!  You can see her sitting on her ground eggs in the second picture.

She's a really beautiful bird and so I am interested in knowing what she is.  She looks a little like a quail maybe but has no head protrusion.

Thanks!

Jodi Jones

Bird Close Up.jpg

Bird Further Nesting.jpg

Edited by Jodi Jones
typos
  • Like 1

That is a Killdeer, a type of plover.  It is common for them to nest in places like this (like gravel driveways).  That was so nice of them to put up signs!

• Like 2

That would totally make sense.  My brain wanted to call her a plover :) Now I know why!  Yeah my company is good like that :)  We had a family of Canadian Geese that decided to take over a pond on the property during our large customer conference and they put up signs about nesting geese warning our guests away and then shared a cute picture of the family at the meeting.

• Like 3

Those signs are a good idea.  They're great for the survival of the Killdeer eggs but they're vital to keep people from being harmed by the Canadas.  A defensive Canada Goose is not to be taken lightly; people have had finger, hand, and even arm bones broken when struck by wing blows.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Those signs are a good idea.  They're great for the survival of the Killdeer eggs but they're vital to keep people from being harmed by the Canadas.  A defensive Canada Goose is not to be taken lightly; people have had finger, hand, and even arm bones broken when struck by wing blows.

Lol, I've recanted my story of being attacked by a defensive goose on here before. Jodi, I would venture a guess that your Killdeer was trying to draw you away from the nest by acting like it had a broken wing, not attacking.

Edited by Creeker
Add

The sign for the geese actually said attention aggressive and nesting geese :)

As for the Killdeer she actually was immediately before her nest, puffed up and trying to get me to back up.  She hadn't yet left the nest and done the broken wing as I know enough to back pedal when a bird makes themselves bigger and squawks...plus there was several nearby construction workers and vehicles so I'm not sure she knew where to draw the attention.