Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

There was a minor kettle of vultures flying around but there were a few birds that were not vultures flying around with them. I think this is all of one bird, but it could be two or three different ones:

DSCN1640a1DSCN1641s1DSCN1622s1DSCN1625q1DSCN1623w1

Edited by Viurre

Looks to me like the first one is a Red-tailed Hawk due to the clean tail and hint of a belly band, and the other appears to be a dark morph Broad-winged Hawk since I see one wide white tail stripe. 

They're very difficult for me to see, but I think both are Broad-wingeds, the first two being an immature bird and the third being an adult.  The immature bird shows no dark patagials and has a different shape than a Red-tailed.  It also has a line down the middle of the throat and four "wing fingers" which support Broad-winged.  The adult bird looks fine for a light morph in bad lighting (I don't think dark morphs are very common in the east).  The bird(s) in the last two photos could be the same adult, but I really can't tell.

34 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

They're very difficult for me to see, but I think both are Broad-wingeds, the first two being an immature bird and the third being an adult.  The immature bird shows no dark patagials and has a different shape than a Red-tailed.  It also has a line down the middle of the throat and four "wing fingers" which support Broad-winged.  The adult bird looks fine for a light morph in bad lighting (I don't think dark morphs are very common in the east).  The bird(s) in the last two photos could be the same adult, but I really can't tell.

Okay. I'd trust your judgement over mine.

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

This is where I am at as well...