Whatbird Community

Pileated woodpecker

• 3 weeks later...

No one comes to mind immediately; but if I can come up with one I'll let you know. Meanwhile I tried a feature I just found (not sure if it's new or I just noticed it) -  Irecommend the post. I also pinned the thread to keep it visible for a while. if @loonswan would like I could move it to the North American ID forum; we've hosted other behavior questions there and it will probably get more views.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

Meanwhile I tried a feature I just found (not sure if it's new or I just noticed it) -  I recommend the post.

That appears to have pinned the individual post at the top of the thread, and put a orange star in the upper right of the post.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to make any change to the way the thread is listed on the forum page.  While I have no objections to being the guinea pig, it doesn't appear to attract attention from outside the thread.

Oh, well.

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

That appears to have pinned the individual post at the top of the thread, and put a orange star in the upper right of the post.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to make any change to the way the thread is listed on the forum page.  While I have no objections to being the guinea pig, it doesn't appear to attract attention from outside the thread.

Oh, well.

Yes, it seems so. I was also hoping it would call attention to the thread itself. I did pin and feature it (meaning it will stay at the top and has a little star beside it). 

• 2 months later...

I found an interesting study on pileated woodpeckers a few years ago. The study period was from 1973 - 1983. There was a ton of interesting information.Pacific Northwest Pileated Study  It doesn't say anything about dual nests, but they do address renesting.  I wonder if it's something like that.  Anyway, I know this isn't an answer to the question, but it's a really interesting study.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...