Whatbird Community

There has been a Hummingbird near my house every year but this is a 1st for me!  Every night when I came home a bird would zoom out from under the eaves near the door. Then a few nights ago my man friend says hey there is a Hummingbird stuck up in the corner under the eaves. He said he turned out the front light so maybe it would calm and find its way out.  We brain stormed as to why it might be there, roosting, catching bugs, but we never thought it would be nesting... Not only nesting but doing it on the TOP OF A WINDCHIME!!! .. We are to excited!!! There are 2 eggs!!  Silly girl!!! What other crazy places have folks found nests? 

IMG_20190611_194742.jpg

20190611_175838.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to Whatbird!!

That is awesome! The only place I have ever seen a Hummer nest was in a tree. We have several of them around here (Sacramento CA), Anna's and Black-chinned, but I've never had one nest on the porch! Where are you located? And please keep us posted on the progress of your new "family"!! 😃

Thank for the welcome!

I'm in North East Ohio near Cleveland.  I'll post updates for sure!  I worry since its been raining and cold here and occasionally windy. She is on top of a windchime!! Lol😬😕  I put a feeder nearby and put some banana peals out to attract some yummy bugs for her and the babies when they arrive.  

Good idea, putting feeders and food sources out near her 👍👍. That should make it easier for her to find food for herself and family when they hatch. Hopefully the wind chime won't blow too much in the wind. If she managed to build her nest and lay eggs there she can probably handle it OK!! 

I just wanted to say that is one beautiful nest! So pretty. Trees blow around a lot too so hopefully they got this :)