Whatbird Community

There has been a Hummingbird near my house every year but this is a 1st for me!  Every night when I came home a bird would zoom out from under the eaves near the door. Then a few nights ago my man friend says hey there is a Hummingbird stuck up in the corner under the eaves. He said he turned out the front light so maybe it would calm and find its way out.  We brain stormed as to why it might be there, roosting, catching bugs, but we never thought it would be nesting... Not only nesting but doing it on the TOP OF A WINDCHIME!!! .. We are to excited!!! There are 2 eggs!!  Silly girl!!! What other crazy places have folks found nests? 

IMG_20190611_194742.jpg

20190611_175838.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome to Whatbird!!

That is awesome! The only place I have ever seen a Hummer nest was in a tree. We have several of them around here (Sacramento CA), Anna's and Black-chinned, but I've never had one nest on the porch! Where are you located? And please keep us posted on the progress of your new "family"!! 😃

Thank for the welcome!

I'm in North East Ohio near Cleveland.  I'll post updates for sure!  I worry since its been raining and cold here and occasionally windy. She is on top of a windchime!! Lol😬😕  I put a feeder nearby and put some banana peals out to attract some yummy bugs for her and the babies when they arrive.  

Good idea, putting feeders and food sources out near her 👍👍. That should make it easier for her to find food for herself and family when they hatch. Hopefully the wind chime won't blow too much in the wind. If she managed to build her nest and lay eggs there she can probably handle it OK!! 

I just wanted to say that is one beautiful nest! So pretty. Trees blow around a lot too so hopefully they got this :)

WE HAVE BABIES!!!  Our Hummingbird finally hatched!! I was getting worried! This is the 1st time I've been able to get a picture.. Whoooo hooooo!!! 

FB_IMG_1561678999041.jpg

• Like 2

Well since there really wasn't much change till now! Here they are at almost 2 weeks old.. They have hummer besks! Lol 

FB_IMG_1562624666192.jpg

• Like 4

I didn't get a shot of her feeding them this morning as I really didn't want to disturb her (and I was totally in thralled watching her I hadn't see her feeding them yet)   but I did after.. Poor ichy babies will you look all the oin feathers!! (I have a parrot I know they make him crazy ichy ) 

hummer babies july9.jpg

• Like 2

Today's baby pictures! They are officially 2 weeks old! Check the little guy in front mugging for the camera!  I'm starting to feel like a birdy-granny!! Lol

FB_IMG_1562816400543.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Great photos!!!

Thanks!  I'm on vacation next week and hope to get better shots using my Nikon dslr! I've been taking pics with my phone standing on tip toes and holding the over nest. Basically blind, I can't see them I'm not tall enough! So I don't know what the picture is going to look like till after! But it works!! 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 11:46 PM, Bird Brain said:

Great photos!!!

So here is today.. First flights will be soon.  They are pretty active today! 

FB_IMG_1563051917463.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like they've outgrown their nest! You're right, won't be long before they start flying. Mama did a good job!!

• Like 1

Great photos!!!

Well yesterday one was practicing .. This morning I may have seen 1st flight  cuz when I went out I thought it was momma..but off she\he zipped and then there was 1... I looked up and oh there you are!! 

FB_IMG_1563210389491.jpg

FB_IMG_1563210407696.jpg

• Like 2

Well folks we are officially empty nesters.. #2 took flight this morning.. Good luck to my babies!!  Hope you all enjoyed the pictures as much as I did watching them grow... Sure hope I see them again during the rest of the summer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the photos and updates of the baby hummers. I really enjoyed following along as they grew up and successfully fledged :).

2 hours ago, ramoth41 said:

Well folks we are officially empty nesters.. #2 took flight this morning.. Good luck to my babies!!  Hope you all enjoyed the pictures as much as I did watching them grow... Sure hope I see them again during the rest of the summer.  

Thank you for sharing your "family" with us. I'm so glad Mama had a successful nest and hatch after a shaky start. You should see them around through the summer at your feeder. Thanks again!!! 😃 

I've seen one on my neighbor's feeder but not mine.  I'm thinking of moving it to the back of the house into a shady spot. Besides I can see it better than in the front.  That way I can keep an eye out for them.  Also the nectar is packaged and dyed red... I know They are attracted to red but next door is clear... They seem to like that better.. And it's more shaded than mine... Yes? No? 

My personal experience has been that they do prefer the sugar water over the red nector prepackaged  - which has dye in it. The recipe is just to dilute 1 part sugar with 4 parts water :)

2 hours ago, ramoth41 said:

I've seen one on my neighbor's feeder but not mine.  I'm thinking of moving it to the back of the house into a shady spot. Besides I can see it better than in the front.  That way I can keep an eye out for them.  Also the nectar is packaged and dyed red... I know They are attracted to red but next door is clear... They seem to like that better.. And it's more shaded than mine... Yes? No? 

I agree with @Kerri , my experience has also been that they prefer clear sugar water to the packaged red food. And as Kerri said, 1 part sugar to 4 parts water seems to be the right solution.