Whatbird Community

I have heard some people mention that their eBird listing was "flagged". Can someone explain what the means and how that happens? Do eBird lists get reviewed and flagged for inaccuracies? Also, where would that show on your own e-Bird page somewhere or just be removed? Just curious :)  Thanks very much.

I'm not an expert, but I think you may be referring to the fact that ebird listings are reviewed by what is normally a local expert.  I suspect that only the rarities and unusual (for the area being reported from) ones are looked at.  I know the local reviewer where I normally bird.  He has caught me in mistakes (usually fat fingers while entering lists), and I have convinced him that I was right in other cases.  If the reviewer questions you, you would get an email, and be asked to explain your sighting.  If you can't come to agreement, the sighting will remain on your lists, but not be visible to others.

As I typed that, I realized that there is another factor.  As you're entering your lists, a small flag should appear next to any unusual sighting.  If it is really rare, you might not be able to enter it at all without providing some descriptive information.

The whole thing can be frustrating, especially if you are really doing this (reporting on ebird) primarily for your own enjoyment, but the data is collected into a larger heap for scientific purposes, and the extra exercise helps keep the dataset more accurate and realistic.

I hope this was in the way of an appropriate answer to the question you asked.

• Thanks 1

Local reviewers aren't the only ones who can flag misidentified birds and it's not only the rare birds for the area and high counts that are flagged for review.  "Power users" (I am one of them) can flag any misidentified bird we find while browsing photos or audio; those reports then go to the local reviewer.

• Like 2

In addition birds can be flagged for time of the year.  A really common Yellow-rumped Warbler isn't a big deal, unless it is in the middle of winter in the North.  Then it will be flagged.  They also will often crank up the filters during the Backyard bird count.  That way someone who participates and sees a Red-bellied Woodpecker, and calling it a Red-headed, can be flagged and asked for more clarification.  They can also be flagged for a hight count.  Dunlin appears on my checklist, but when I put in 25 of them it flags as a hight count in my inland county.  

My advice if your bird isn't confirmed, don't take it personal.  A couple of us didn't agree with our reviewer on a late Tundra Swan, but the bird was such a "tweener" juvie it was a tough call either way.  I accept the fact this bird would be way out of season for around here and the scientific data is the important part.  It goes on my list, but not in the data.  

• Like 1