Whatbird Community

Summer 2019 - Whats Going On At Your Feeders?

So this Friday June 21st 2019 is the first day of summer, and I'm curious what is going on at your feeders and what bird foods are you feeding?

I have out black oil sunflower seeds and they are really plowing thru them like I've never seen. Nearly 4 to 5 pounds a day. I just have the one main feeder out which is the Squirrel Buster Plus which holds 5 pounds. I have up 6 caged squirrel proof double suet feeders, and they are going thru about 4 to 6 cakes in a day. I have up a Squirrel Buster Peanut Plus feeder and the woodpeckers and blujays are going thru a 5 pound sack of shelled peanuts in a week. I cant believe it and this is all with feral cats running everywhere underneath it all. Its like a big circus. I cant imagine what they would be eating if the cats didnt hang around. It is funny to watch though.

I have a lot of house finches, carolina chickadees, the titmouse, northern cardinals, all kinds of woopeckers, and way too many mourning doves that are annoying. A handfull of grackles. I see a lot of young birds too eating from their parent. Lots of hummingbirds too. 

Edited by MeInDallas

Good Topic for conversation - I only have one feeder out because I was getting raided this spring by squirrels. Between the hawks and my BB gun, I have been able to keep squirrels off the one feeder.  I'm going through 2-3 lbs of sunflower seeds per day as well as a suet cake about every 3 days.  Almost all of my birds are resident birds this time of year and they are of the same variety that you listed.  I was getting some blue Jays on my suet cakes for a while but I have not noticed them as much lately.  My bluebird mother is using the suet cake for her meals while she is feeding insects to the 2 chicks in the bluebird box. The number of hummingbirds at my house this summer has been way down for some reason.  Hot weather has not set in yet so it will be interesting to see if there are any changes as we move into the intense heat of the summer. 

• Like 1

I'm only filling my one big feeder once a week with BOS, and they're generally clearing it in a matter of a couple days (it holds about 5 lbs).  I've got Grosbeaks, grackles, Titmice, Chickadees, both White Breasted and Red Breasted Nuthatches, various woodpeckers, House and Purple and Gold Finches, and probly more I'm forgetting right now.

• Like 1
On 6/20/2019 at 8:21 AM, tclarkwood said:

The number of hummingbirds at my house this summer has been way down for some reason.  Hot weather has not set in yet so it will be interesting to see if there are any changes as we move into the intense heat of the summer. 

I have noticed this year my numbers are way down as well. I have a handfull sometimes but then it seems like long periods go by and I wont see one. I dont know if I'm just missing them feed or if there really isnt many. I'm not going thru a lot of nectar so probably the numbers are down. The regular birds are eating like hogs still.🐷

I have been talking to many different people that feed hummingbirds each year and every one of them have indicated that the number of hummingbirds is down significantly this year.  That is very interesting to me. I heard somewhere that there was a theory that pesticide use (mosquito spraying in towns) is higher than normal and that this might be having an effect on the butterfly population, overall insect population and possibly even hummingbird population.  There may be nothing at all to this idea but still makes me wonder what is different because my hummingbird numbers are the lowest that I have seen since I have been putting out feeders.   I will do some research on the internet and see if I can see any theories on population variability.  Seems like we had a lot of hummers last year? 

• Like 1