Whatbird Community

i am having trouble identifying a bird i have never seen before.  i live in La Crosse County Wisconsin and i was walking along a bike trail when i noticed a strange bird i've never seen before.  It was medium sized bird with light tan feathers and a white stomach with small black spots near the top of its chest.  At first i thought it was a Mockingbird as it was making different chirping calls all at once, but a friend of mine told me that Mockingbirds are usually grey in color and are rarely seen in Wisconsin. i don't have a picture of it, but that is the best description i can give. please help as it is driving me crazy as to what kind of bird it is.

Try this Brown Thrasher.  There are other thrasher species but I think this is the one most likely in WI.  Thrashers and mockingbirds are in the same family (mimids), along with catbirds.  Assuming my guess is right, you were on the right track.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/

Oh, and please include the date of your sighting next time!  Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

that's it thank you!  i have never been much of a bird watcher before but, i do love nature walks that's why i was so curious about the brown thrasher. 

Edited by Mistysong