Whatbird Community

I'm not good with telling a couple of them apart, eastern and western look a lot alike for instance, but based on size, location, and appearance, I'd say this has to be an eastern screech owl.
I've only ever seen one and it was a red morph.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mpfuchs said:

Nice capture! And close, I'm down in Augusta County.

Nice. I miss the valley!

Thanks all. Definitely a screech, though? A local birder thought maybe Long-eared. Although that would be more of a winter possibility.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Thanks all. Definitely a screech, though? A local birder thought maybe Long-eared. Although that would be more of a winter possibility.

Yes, this is definitely an Eastern Screech Owl and not a Long-eared Owl. Long-eared Owls are much larger, have longer ear tufts, and have a prominent orange facial disk.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 2

Nobody else commented on which morph it was. I'll let you know if there's any conclusion there

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HamRHead said:

Nobody else commented on which morph it was. I'll let you know if there's any conclusion there

According to my Sibley's, the color matches the "brown adult". Red adult is more saturated, and the grey is: well grey.

Screech.jpg.d0162e5a7190f3e3428f31ce7f014f96.jpg

Edited by mpfuchs
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Strange...that comment was for my brother. Not sure how it ended up here. Actually I know exactly how it happened. Not a big deal on the morph, but still interesting. Thanks everyone for your input!

Edited by HamRHead

2 hours ago, HamRHead said:

I took a look at this first thing today and also noticed that Sibley had the "brown morph". I then did an internet search of images and found that this seemed to be the best fit - the "red morph" is very distinct and appeared much more rufous than this one. FWIW.

PS. I have been looking for a reported local Screech Owl family for months and no luck, so a touch of jealousy.

• Like 1

Yes. that is the elusive brown morph Eastern Screech. They say morph percentages vary geographically... but for the roughly 30 I've seen over the years, all have been red or gray(but all in the Northeast).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

Yes. that is the elusive brown morph Eastern Screech. They say morph percentages vary geographically... but for the roughly 30 I've seen over the years, all have been red or gray(but all in the Northeast).

Very interesting. And I'm out of likes.