Whatbird Community

Sometimes comparing photos in field guides leaves me frustrated. I see the ID marks they mention but they're often vague and, more importantly, the mark on one is also on another species. That gets frustrating.
MOST of the time I can ID the baltimore and orchard orioles we have here... Once in a while, the females trip me up. When I look in the guide to compare, it can just be close to either one sometimes. I probably need to study my daughter's 2nd ed Sibley's instead of the 1st I have next to me... MAYBE that would help me on a few species a little... Anyway, MOST of the time it's easy but once in a while a drab female comes along and just confuses me.
I mostly want tips as to what marks I should learn better, for those confusing birds. I wasn't going to post a picture but, why not... 
This one I'm fairly certain is a female baltimore. Color seems okay for one and the white seems to fit a younger female baltimore. Sibley's doesn't show a younger female orchard to see if they can have white on them like that.
An orchard female would be more yellow than orange... once in a while though, they just confuse me with their colors even. Maybe I just need more practice looking at the females. Anyone else ever notice, if you're at a place with multiple baltimore orioles, 95% of your attention is on the males?  HA. 

Anyway, this girl seems plenty orange-ish enough to be a baltimore to me. But if I overlook the color, are there other things to focus on???

baor-f.JPG.5e90b35f71214b3f33836380e0096ad3.JPG

Well, the comparison descriptions on AAB aren't much help.

"Adult female Baltimore Orioles are more orange on the breast and tail, and less greenish yellow than female Orchard Orioles."

"(Orchard) Females are greenish yellow with two white wingbars (also visible on Baltimores) and no black on head or back (again, like Baltimores)."

Posted (edited)

Baltimore. Female Orchard Orioles don't have orange on them.

Edited by akiley

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, akiley said:

Baltimore. Female Orchard Orioles don't have orange on them.

Respectfully, millipede already concluded that.  He / she is asking if there are other field marks besides color that may help separate Baltimores and Orchards.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Respectfully, millipede already concluded that.  He / she is asking if there are other field marks besides color that may help separate Baltimores and Orchards.

My apologies. I didn't see that. Orchard Orioles are significantly smaller than Baltimore, smaller-billed, more compact overall, and females have a plain grayish yellow back without any markings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

🙂  After I typed up what I did, I asked myself(quietly, in my head) how many people might just tell me what it was without reading it all. I almost commented/replied to clarify but decided just to see what would happen. 🙂
And... "he"    millipede is a he.