Whatbird Community

I'm tired of ordering binos off the web, only to be disappointed by the feel, the focusing (too fast or slow), light gathered, etc.  Before I have to ship another pair back, does anyone have suggestions on how to find a brick-and-mortar retailer?  Googling 'binoculars columbia sc' was useless.

Thanks.

Cabela's let me take a pair outside to try. They were very accommodating. I'm guessing other stores would do the same thing. For other store suggestions, maybe Bass Pro Shops or Academy Sports. I think Wild Birds Unlimited may also carry a few pairs.

The local WBU had two pair.  Academy had a picked-over selection but they may have restocked.  No Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. in a two-hour radius but it may come to that.

Come to think of it, Academy Sports has their binoculars tethered to the counter. Another possibility is Gander Mountain. I think even their camper/RV locations are well stocked with a usual array of sporting goods.

I guess you could come and hit Phinizy Swamp and leave enough time for Gander Mountain and Cabela's. There is also a Dick's Sporting Goods but I haven't been there enough to know what they have. If you're not in a hurry, you could wait for fall migration and cooler weather.

• Like 1

From my post in my separate discussion of what binos to get:

"The selection at the local Dicks' was lousy, maybe a dozen models, mostly entry level or unsuited for birding (high mag or high objective).  Academy would have had a better selection, 25 or 30 models, IF they had been fully stocked, but they were out of about two-thirds of them.

Sportsman's Warehouse had a great selection of several top brands (Leopuld, Zeiss, Nikon, Vortex, at least two more I don't recall today), with at least two models of each, and at least two mag / objective combos."