Whatbird Community

Can't pin this one down

Seen today about 35 miles east of Sacramento, dry wooded area near a cemetery. Beak looks too straight for a House Finch, which this bird appeared to be about the same size as. It was in deep shade so I had to lighten the photos, otherwise it appeared as a silhouette.

48164655462_9bc9efb165_z.jpgIMG_2129-001 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

48164576101_fb166a88a7_z.jpgIMG_2131-001 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

48164655372_4241593330_z.jpgIMG_2132-001 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

Looks proportionally right for a Western Bluebird. I even see some reddish (?) feathers coming in on the breast. I'd guess a hatch year bird molting out of the spotty plumage into the adult plumage.

• Like 1

@Liam  Could well be an immature Western Bluebird. When I first saw it it did look like a Bluebird profile to me. I saw the reddish feathers on its breast also, but when I lightened it the lack of spots made me wonder. My Sibley's shows a juvenile, May-Aug., with extensive spotting, which I am used to seeing on them out here (Calif.). Could be an early hatch molting already. Sibley's doesn't show the transition from juvenile to adult plumage. Unless someone can conclusively show it to be something else I'll go with your ID. Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, Liam said:

It could very well be an adult female. I admit I have little experience with Western Bluebirds versus Eastern and I know Western females can be patchy.

That's possible, too. Like I said, it was in deep shadow so all I could see was a silhouette. The females can be pretty drab. Thanks again for sticking with this one! 

I actually saw this bird today, a female and at first I thought the bird was a Say’s Phoebe then I realized my mistake.  This bird is a trickster so I feel where you're coming from  

excuse me for plugging my photos  but o thought it’ll be nice to show where I’m coming from ?

D7D5A6C3-11ED-4A51-A23D-DB9FD3CABF3E.jpeg

9117B982-461A-4198-90BC-8199C7B142D2.jpeg

Edited by Paul Contreras
  • Like 1