Whatbird Community

6 minutes ago, jmorin said:

So where are the breeding male? I've never seen one around...

As strikingly pretty as they are, I've often found them to be a bit secretive... or at least, they hang out in DENSE trees often enough.
Best bet to find one is to study their song and listen for them. They're not as abundant as some of the more common birds... with something like a cardinal, you can get a ton in your yard in one day but I THINK that you'll see birds like tanagers a bit more spread out. So one could be in that area and just not out in the open very often.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, millipede said:

As strikingly pretty as they are, I've often found them to be a bit secretive... or at least, they hang out in DENSE trees often enough.
Best bet to find one is to study their song and listen for them. They're not as abundant as some of the more common birds... with something like a cardinal, you can get a ton in your yard in one day but I THINK that you'll see birds like tanagers a bit more spread out. So one could be in that area and just not out in the open very often.

I'll try that, thanks a bunch!