Whatbird Community

Flycatcher - Unknown, MN

All of our empids show a yellowish belly in fresh plumage (lighting can be a factor as well).

This is one of the major pitfalls in empid ID, resulting many erroneous reports of Yellow-bellied. This looks like a Traill's to me.

• Like 1

Ignoring the yellow belly which is not a definitive field mark for YBFL, shape/structure looks off for YB here. They usually have a "petite" or "compact" appearance, distinct eyering, and a more greenish coloring overall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akiley said:

All of our empids show a yellowish belly in fresh plumage (lighting can be a factor as well).

This is one of the major pitfalls in empid ID, resulting many erroneous reports of Yellow-bellied. This looks like a Traill's to me.

Thanks!

I'll assume Traills (willow/alder) then. 

[I broke the link in the original post, so re-linking here:]

41915937600_887c9a1e26_z.jpg

Flycatcher, WIllow/Alder (?) by Michael Janke, on Flickr

Edited by @Michael

When looking at a possible Yellow-bellied, the trick is to forget the belly and look at the throat and how much it contrasts with the face. Yellow-bellied have yellow throats that can fade to nearly gray but that never show a strong contrast with the face.

With regards to the bird, the primaries are quite long and there appear to be smudges on the undertail coverts -- why not Eastern Wood-Pewee?