Whatbird Community

Hi everyone, 

I genuinely do not know what species of duck this can be.  My reference materials and the research I've done on the net did not yield anything that looked similar.  I think it may not be a mature adult? Perhaps an immature female mallard?

Date: July 5

Habitat: Riverfront, groomed park.  Mallard male and female ducks were also present.  Within the city limits of a mid-sized Fox River Valley town

Unknown Duck 1.JPG

Looks like a domestic Mallard. This is definitely not a "normal" wild species, so this explains why your research did not yield anything. 

• Like 1

I see.  I did not know there were domesticated versions of Mallards.  Nor would I have thought  they would be so comfortable in the "wild", so to speak. Thank you for the information. I'll have to try to get a crisper photo if I see her again. 

1 minute ago, STUDAR said:

I see.  I did not know there were domesticated versions of Mallards.  Nor would I have thought  they would be so comfortable in the "wild", so to speak. Thank you for the information. I'll have to try to get a crisper photo if I see her again. 

Almost all domestic ducks come from Mallards (some come from Muscovies).

• Like 2