Whatbird Community

These are my guess but wait for the experts ūüôā

1) Willow Flycatcher

2) Mountain Bluebird

The first is a Western Wood-Pewee (by range) with the extremely long primary projection.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zipzilla said:

Isn't that second bird a Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay?

I love it when a photo includes an object of known dimensions.

Assuming that's a 4x4 post (technically 3.5 inches square) the bird is perched on, he's about 6.5 to 7 inches.  That's too small by several inches for a Scrub-Jay.  Even if they were the same size, the tail is too short for a Scrub-Jay.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zipzilla said:

Isn't that second bird a Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay?

As well as the size, Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jays would have a gray (not blue) mantle, and Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jays have a completely different shape, with a longer bill and longer tail, like Charlie said.

• Like 1

Just now, akandula said:

with a longer bill

Yeah, the bill ran me nuts.  I really can't tell anything about it from this shot other than it's dark.  A profile shot would have made that much easier.  I wasn't comfortable with the shadow off the head to pass judgement on the mantle.

Still, as you noted, GISS says thrush over jay.  I just haven't seen enough of them to have any impression.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Yeah, the bill ran me nuts.  I really can't tell anything about it from this shot other than it's dark.  A profile shot would have made that much easier.  I wasn't comfortable with the shadow off the head to pass judgement on the mantle.

Still, as you noted, GISSÔĽŅ says thrush over jay.¬† I just haven't seen enough of them to have any impression.

I can easily see the blue of the mantle. I think we have different eyes from previous experiences too.¬†ūüėĄ

Sorry, what is GISS?

14 minutes ago, akandula said:

Sorry, what is GISS?

I was agreeing with your comment "Woodhouse’s Scrub-Jays have a completely different shape".

'General Impression of Size and Shape'; usually pronounced 'jizz'.  It's when you look at a bird and experience lets you make an ID, or at least place it in the correct family.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70802

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sean C said:

2 is not a MOBL. maybe Pinyon Jay?

What makes you say that it is not a MOBL? PIJA are larger, have longer bills, and are dull blue-gray overall.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 1