Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jodi Nielson

ID help please...

Posted (edited)

Agreed. You can identify them by their large size, brownish-gray upperparts and yellow belly, rufous streaks on their wings and a rufous tail.

6 minutes ago, Jodi Nielson said:

Cool.  Thank you.  That's another new one.😊

Congrats! They're nice birds, those Great Crested Flycatchers.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 1

Something interesting I just noticed. Why do Great Crested Flycatchers not have a hyphen in their name, while Brown-crested Flycatchers do? They are pretty similar birds, and they both are Myiarchus flycatchers. 

I don't know too much about the naming of birds, but doesn't this mean that the Great Crested Flycatcher classifies more like a "Crested Flycatcher" and the Brown-crested classifies like a "Flycatcher"?

I live in the county, surrounded by farmland, pastures, woodland and an Orchard and with a few exceptions, all the pictures I post are taken on my road.  I've identified and photographed about 55 different birds just taking morning walks.  Everyday I try to spot a new one or get a better shot of one I've already identified.  I'm seriously hooked.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, akandula said:

Something interesting I just noticed. Why do Great Crested Flycatchers not have a hyphen in their name, while Brown-crested Flycatchers do? They are pretty similar birds, and they both are Myiarchus flycatchers. 

I don't know too much about the naming of birds, but doesn't this mean that the Great Crested Flycatcher classifies more like a "Crested Flycatcher" and the Brown-crested classifies like a "Flycatcher"?

I believe it's because 'Brown' describes the crest, hence the hyphen.  'Great'  describes the overall bird, a flycatcher larger than the others.  'Great' doesn't modify 'Crested' so there's no hyphen.

It's an illogical language construct, not a logical scientific one.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

caught the whole family this morning....one standing watch (upper right) 2 more bottom left chowing on a cicada.  Just thought I'd share.1900065760_threeGreatCrestedFlycatchers.thumb.JPG.44bf02b901a9f9eb6936267a27bb316c.JPG

• Like 2