Whatbird Community
TexasCobra

Hummingbird Central Texas 78070

This hummingbird is bolder, chunkier, and more resolute than my usual black-chin and ruby-throat guests.  He or she roosts on this feeder mounted above my upper deck and defends it against all comers even when not actively feeding.  I have other nectar feeders at  a lower level.  I am requesting assistance because the appearance and behavior do not fit the norm.  This bird will not usually abandon its perch on the feeder, as other hummingbirds do, when I am moving about on the upper deck.

hummer-9001.JPG

hummer-9003.JPG

hummer-9004.JPG

I studied this pic quite a while, since I don't get Ruby-throated here. But from what I can see in my Sibley, I'm going to call this a juvie Male Ruby-throated, due to the markings, bill length and straightness, and wingtip to tail ratio.  The bill is the reason I'm not saying Black-chinned. The behavior is because it's young and dumb. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Creeker said:

I studied this pic quite a while, since I don't get Ruby-throated here. But from what I can see in my Sibley, I'm going to call this a juvie Male Ruby-throated, due to the markings, bill length and straightness, and wingtip to tail ratio.  The bill is the reason I'm not saying Black-chinned. The behavior is because it's young and dumb. 🙂

Agree

Thanks for the replies.  Black-chins are more common in the San Antonio area.  Farther east around Houston the ruby-throats are the predominant species.