Whatbird Community

Who's good with silhouettes?

Is this perhaps a Chimney Swift, Purple Martin, Northern-rough Winged Swallow?   Sudbury, Northern Ontario.  Was flying over a lagoon surrounded by farmland.  Lots of Tree Swallows and Mallards here.  Thank you for your help :) 

DSC_1935.jpg

52 minutes ago, Sean C said:

Looks better for Barn Swallow

Maybe you're right because Purple Martins have less fork. I just can't see the tail streamers signaling a Barn Swallow. Is this because of the poor quality of the picture?

51 minutes ago, Sean C said:

PUMA's don't have forked tails in flight

I thought they did have a smaller forked tail, no?

Edited by akandula

15 minutes ago, Buddym said:

There was one flying around that was bigger than the Tree Swallows.  Not sure if this was the one or not.  

Barn Swallows are slightly larger than Tree Swallows, but this is usually not that noticeable. However, Purple Martins are definitely larger than Tree Swallows, which can be seen from the field. 

From www.allaboutbirds.org:

image.png.dab5e8bd953d0c80bcf484be3aeddecd.pngPurple Martin on top, Barn Swallow on bottom

Hmm,.  Yeah I don't think it was that much larger than the Tree Swallows and not as dark as a Purple Martin .  I've only ever seen one Purple Martin and could see a size difference from Barn Swallows that were with it.  Where I was has so much diversity and all of these species are possible but Barn Swallow would be the most common so I wasn't sure what it was. 

Just seemed large for a Barn Swallow that I've seen here.  For sure not Chimney Swift? though as that's what I though maybe it was.  There was a couple pictures online when I google image searched "Chimney Swift in flight" that had forked tails like this but must be miss Id'd?  Thanks everyone for your feedback.  Appreciated :)      

3 minutes ago, Buddym said:

There was a couple pictures online when I google image searched "Chimney Swift in flight" that had forked tails like this but must be miss Id'd?

The tail isn't as diagnostic as the wings.  Check a couple of photos again and notice how the leading edges curve toward the rear.

29 minutes ago, Buddym said:

Okay so now I just looked up "Purple Martin in flight" and one looked real close to my photo and showed a fork the same.  Ugh.... 

Images in Google searches are often misidentified.  Try Macaulay Library instead.  It's run by Cornell U. ornithology school, and the photos submitted are often reviewed by other birders.  It will have some incorrect IDs too, but not as many as generic engines searching the entire web.

http://www.macaulaylibrary.org

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Melierax said:

Young Barn Swallows don't have "streamers" on their tails. Young birds are also bigger than adults in most bird species from what I've heard. I'd agree with BARS here. 

I agree now because BARS have "U" shaped tails while PUMA have "V" shaped tails. Young Barn Swallow it is (unless anybody has any other opinions).

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, Melierax said:

Young Barn Swallows don't have "streamers" on their tails. Young birds are also bigger than adults in most bird species from what I've heard. I'd agree with BARS here. 

On 7/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

BASW

First, here is a juvenile Barn Swallow (BARS; differentiated from BANS): https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/240592601. Note that the r6s are the longest feathers on the tail.

Also, fledgling birds in most species are, essentially the same size as their parents, though might have less mass (weigh less) or slightly more, depending on local circumstances and the species considered.