Whatbird Community

Hi,

This unknown bird was seen in southern NJ, in an uninhabited home. It was seen earlier in July.  It was breathing heavily and vomiting.  It did not move.  A second bird was found in another room, acting in the same manner.  Apparently there was a hole  in the roof and we believe that is how they gained entry.  Any thoughts?? 

https://ibb.co/m0kc6cfhttps://ibb.co/m0kc6cf

Posted (edited)

Welcome.

My thoughts are they (young Vultures?) ate something potentially lethal.  It could have been a rodent or other pest that died from eating a poisoned bait.  This is a global problem for vultures, worse in some countries than in the US.

These birds are too young too be on their own.  Maybe the parents nested in the house?

My thoughts, and you're getting what you paid for.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Hello,

It appears to be a young vulture. What is more concerning to me is its location. We will need more information concerning the bird's whereabouts and how this location was accessed. We will be in touch.

I've been vultures nesting in old abandoned houses and barns.  This is not unusual.  Vomiting could be a health issue or sometimes in vultures it is a natural response to stress.  They will hiss at you if you get too close.

15 hours ago, Gimmaabreak said:

Seems like the consensus is that the bird was a young black vulture.

I can't find any images of nestling Turkey Vultures, so I don't know  if we can rule them out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I can't find any images of nestling Turkey Vultures, so I don't know  if we can rule them out.

Good point. When I look at the image, it looks like the young vulture has little red on its head, so I was thinking Turkey Vulture, since, at least from what I know, Black Vultures never have red heads, even while growing up. Plus, Turkey Vultures should be more common in the location of the OP. 

• Like 1