Whatbird Community

I was visiting Colorado earlier this week, and I need help with some IDs. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

1. In this one, I'm wondering about the bird to the left, not the fem bluebird.

48286073456_ebce88a1dc_b.jpg

2. Is there an expert who can guess the flycatcher? He just wouldn't sing for me. 😞

48286176742_4e50b00560_h.jpg

3. I know these last three were very distant and hard to photograph.  But if you could help me figure them out, I'd love to add to my western bird list! 

48286073571_b1d096ebab_z.jpg

48286176652_1ab9b81517_z.jpg

48286073761_ca13e943c6_b.jpg

Posted (edited)

1. Looks like a juvenile Western Bluebird

2. Wood-Pewee, Western by range

3. Say's Phoebe, I think

4. Sparrow sp.

5. House Finch, I think

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1: Western Bluebirds

2: Western Wood-pewee

3: Looks like a Say's Phoebe

4: Sparrow, maybe Cassin's?

5: House Finch

• Thanks 1

I think four looks like a Song Sparrow. Cassin's would be "Skylarking" this time of year, that is launching upward and singing, then landing on the ground. Did you notice that behavior? I could also see five as an interior west Fox Sparrow, if I'm seeing the yellow lower mandible and dorsal color shading correctly.

7 minutes ago, Sean C said:

4: Sparrow, maybe Cassin's?

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!  I looked up the Cassin's Sparrow and read that they like wide-open grasslands.  I suppose it would help if I mentioned that I was near Monument, Colorado.  Would that make a different sparrow more likely?

4 minutes ago, leetriplej said:

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!  I looked up the Cassin's Sparrow and read that they like wide-open grasslands.  I suppose it would help if I mentioned that I was near Monument, Colorado.  Would that make a different sparrow more likely?

Cassin's almost always stay hidden on the ground except when displaying the behavior I mentioned. I'm sure if it was a Cassin's you'd have seen that behavior.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Creeker said:

Cassin's almost always stay hidden on the ground except when displaying the behavior I mentioned. I'm sure if it was a Cassin's you'd have seen that behavior.

Could be the lighting that's throwing me off

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The sparrow looks more like a Savannah or Vesper Sparrow to me.

I could be onboard with one of those.

3 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The sparrow looks more like a Savannah or Vesper Sparrow to me.

With the face pattern it could be a VESP

2 minutes ago, Sean C said:

Could be the lighting that's throwing me off

They're a hard one to ID. Luckily the two times I've seen them they've been doing the skylark thing.

17 minutes ago, Creeker said:

I think four looks like a Song Sparrow. Cassin's would be "Skylarking" this time of year, that is launching upward and singing, then landing on the ground. Did you notice that behavior? I could also see five as an interior west Fox Sparrow, if I'm seeing the yellow lower mandible and dorsal color shading correctly.

I have a bunch of equally blurry photos, and I'm looking through them to see if any help.  I think this one show that the lower mandible is definitely paler than the upper.

48286555357_69dfa3d27c_b.jpg

So, I'm a dork and have been confusing 4 & 5.  🙄  The extra picture I posted was actually of bird #5.  I'm so sorry for the confusion.

25 minutes ago, leetriplej said:

So, I'm a dork and have been confusing 4 & 5.  🙄  The extra picture I posted was actually of bird #5.  I'm so sorry for the confusion.

I think we could figure that out. Anyone else that's seen western Fox Sparrows think 5 could be one, or is it just me?

Posted (edited)

My best pic of a western Fox Sparrow for comparison.......

P6050972.JPG

P6050966.JPG

Edited by Creeker
add pic

I don’t see one feature not perfect for House Finch. It’s far too light for a Fox Sparrow in my opinion. It looks like a pretty textbook House Finch to me.