Whatbird Community
Linda49

Minneapolis Minnesota at the feeder mid day

New bird at the feeder this year.  I am unable to find anything close to it in my bird books.  We live in a south suburb of Minneapolis with a fair amount of trees and evergreens in the yard. 

Visits every day and usually there is a smaller bird with "him" or "her" that I think may be a mate or child.  Does anyone know this bird?

IMG_1073.jpg

Welcome to Whatbird!

This is a female Red-winged Blackbird ("Red-winged" subspecies). While males are all black and have a red and yellow shoulder patch, females are brown, heavily streaked, and have a yellow wash on their face.

Edited by akandula

This is actually a juvenile Red-winged Blackbird with the fleshy gape, very yellow breast and face, and streaked throat and supercilium.  I'm not sure if we can tell if it's a female or male at this stage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

This is actually a juvenile Red-winged Blackbird with the fleshy gape, very yellow breast and face, and streaked throat and supercilium.  I'm not sure if we can tell if it's a female or male at this stage.

agreed