Whatbird Community

This is my issue.   My first Mountain Chickadee I saw years ago in Southern CA.  (Pix 1)

It looks different than the pix I got in June at Crater Lake OR.   To me picture 1 very clearly isn't a Black-Capped,  but #2-4 could easily be if it weren't for the small eyebrow stripe. Since it's an overlap range with Black-Capped Chickadees,  is the small eyebrow in the bird enough to just call Mountain Chickadee,  or is it a hybrid?   

Thanks

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bird-Boys said:

1. mountain chickadee

2. black-capped chickadee

3. mountain chickadee

No, that's not right. All of these pictures (make sure to expand the picture) are of either pure Mountain Chickadees or Mountain Chickadee X Black-capped Chickadee hybrids. I am sorry but I can't help because this individual is not very distinctive in intermediate features. Maybe another person can help.

This link can maybe help: http://birdhybrids.blogspot.com/2014/06/black-capped-chickadee-x-mountain.html

Edited by akandula
  • Like 2

Thanks,  excellent link and reference to goto to research before just posting pictures.   Especially as I can now learn what may be features to go one way or the other.    And I always have to accept that even after the efforts to get a clean shot,  do the research, you are left with pure or hybrid,  but sometimes it's just a bird and that's ok.       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobolink2014 said:

And I always have to accept that even after the efforts to get a clean shot,  do the research, you are left with pure or hybrid,  but sometimes it's just a bird and that's ok.

That's very Zen.  Acknowledging it is the first step, accepting is the second.  It's just part of birding.

I see Mountain Chickadees here fairly often ( mountains east of San Diego. ) This is exactly what Mountain Chickadees look like ( with that weak eyebrow ) when I see them here in summer. I don't think you have any hybrids there.

• Like 1