Whatbird Community

Hey everyone! Nice to see the forum back up. Just got back from an extended trip across the US, and had a vireo that's been bugging me. Sadly its a terrible view, and it was so well hidden I didn't even see its head, but managed to get one photo nonetheless. It was taken at Lost Maples Natural Area in Texas, where both White-eyed and Black-capped Vireos can be found. I heard the bird singing, even recorded it, but to make matters worse the recording didn't catch the bird singing at all!

I was maybe leaning Black-capped, due to the yellowish tinge to the wing bars, which White-eyeds don't seem to have, but I'm not sure if it can even be called 😕 Any help would be appreciated... 

_DSC3583.jpg

I honestly don't think this can be called -- the only difference I can see between the two is how bold the wingbars are, but that's the sort of thing that's affected by molt, etc. If you can recall the song, they are noticeably different. A little perusal of xeno-canto.org should help in that respect.