Whatbird Community

Hi .

Since a couple of days i notice 1 small bird coming in the morning to my bird feeder, it's always on it's own and early morning around 07 Am.

I don't have much knowledge of birds but i'm curious to know what species it is.

I live in Southern Ontario Niagara region Canada.

Will.

bird.JPG

bird 2.JPG

Welcome to Whatbird!

I agree with an adult female Brown-headed Cowbird. While males have glossy-black bodies and brown heads, females are plain brown with light-colored heads and underparts. Juveniles are brown with scaled backs and streaked bellies. Cowbirds have thick, short bills and dark irises, separating them from other blackbird species. 

(In the second photo, the bird on top of the feeder is a Mourning Dove and the bird on the left of the cowbird is a female House Sparrow).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, akandula said:

Welcome to Whatbird!

I agree with an adult female Brown-headed Cowbird. While males have glossy-black bodies and brown heads, females are plain brown with light-colored heads and underparts. Juveniles are brown with scaled backs and streaked bellies. Cowbirds have thick, short bills and dark irises, separating them from other blackbird species. 

(In the second photo, the bird on top of the feeder is a Mourning Dove and the bird on the left of the cowbird is a female House Sparrow).

agreed

Thank You very much for the quick and thorough info, first time i see one of those in my area.

Sunday afternoon i had 3 females in the garden, no males seen so far, a red winged blackbird chased them away. I known the blackbird is feeding it's little ones for the moment.

Will