Whatbird Community
floraphile

More Birds from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

July 2019

All photos taken in a large cemetery 

1.  ?House Finch  jKelRiy.jpg?1

2.  Based on location, I suppose this is a Black-Capped Chickadee. A fledgling?  Or just damp feathers?  Living in the southeast, I've only seen Carolinas up to this point.  FGh48i7.jpg

3. Red-shafted Northern Flickers.   I've only seen the yellows before.   Wz5I55l.jpg?1

4.  Female house finch?  ulkAd6I.jpg?1          QigiQBl.jpg?1

5.  ?Junvenile American Robin  JyFkCY4.jpg?1

1. Agree with adult male House Finch. Note the red face and breast and streaked belly and flanks.
  2. Agree with juvenile Black-capped Chickadee. Note the short bill, black cap and bib, white cheek, and gray back. Carolina Chickadees are not in range and Mountain Chickadees have a white supercilium. 
  3. I think this is a Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker because Red-shafted would have a red whisker, and females would have no whisker. Wait for other opinions for the possibility of an intergrade.
  4. Agree with female/immature male House Finch. Note brown overall and brown blurry streaks.
  5. Agree with juvenile American Robin. Note spots on its back and belly.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We saw a NF fly and it flashed red--not certain if it was the same one in photograph, but thought it was.

Edited by floraphile
typo

2 minutes ago, floraphile said:

We saw a NF fly and it flashed red--not certain if it was the same one in photograph, but thought it was.

If it was the same one, then it might be an intergrade with Red-shafted wing color and Yellow-shafted moustache stripe color.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akandula said:
  1. Agree with adult male House Finch. Note the red face and breast and streaked belly and flanks.
  2. Agree with juvenile Black-capped Chickadee. Note the short bill, black cap and bib, white cheek, and gray back. Carolina Chickadees are not in range and Mountain Chickadees have a white supercilium. 
  3. I think this is a Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker because Red-shafted would have a red whisker, and females would have no whisker. Wait for other opinions for the possibility of an intergrade.
  4. Agree with female/immature male House Finch. Note brown overall and brown blurry streaks.

3 hours ago, akandula said:

If it was the same one, then it might be an intergrade with Red-shafted wing color and Yellow-shafted moustache stripe color.

agreed

On 7/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, akandula said:

I am looking back over my photos from the Calgary trip, and I agree with you that #3 is a YSNF.  I have additional photos of a RSNF, so I think he is the one that flashed red for us.  Here is a pic for confirmation on the RSNF.  Red mustache, no nape crescent.  

Ze8hJfV.jpg

2 hours ago, floraphile said:

I am looking back over my photos from the Calgary trip, and I agree with you that #3 is a YSNF.  I have additional photos of a RSNF, so I think he is the one that flashed red for us.  Here is a pic for confirmation on the RSNF.  Red mustache, no nape crescent.  

Ze8hJfV.jpg

Yes, this is a Red-shafted Northern Flicker. As you said, it has a red mustache stripe and a plain nape, as well as the red shafts on the flight feathers that give it its subspecies name. In flight, the red undertail and wings are good keys for this subspecies.

The thing is that both subspecies occur in the area, so I was wondering if it was an intergrage. Now that you said that it probably is not, I am more confident that the bird was a pure Yellow-shafted.

• Like 1