Whatbird Community

1.  Spotted Sandpiper.  Town of Banff, Cave & Basin Marsh Trail.  LmYYWqG.jpg?1

2.  ?Thrasher ?Thrush  I need help with this one.  Shape, stance, and streaks rather than spots made me think Brown Thrasher, but it has that eyebrow, and maybe the tail is too long for a Thrasher?  Town of Banff Cave & Basin Marsh Walk Trail rXQCHqd.jpg?1

3.  Gray Crowned Rosy Finch--it was literally diving into the snow.  Minnestema Lakes, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada (elevation ~7500')

POKIFCT.jpg?1UJKBKYz.jpg?2

Posted (edited)
  1. Agree with breeding adult Spotted Sandpiper. Note the orange bill, heavily spotted breast, and unique bobbing behavior when it walks. 
  2. Song Sparrow. Note the coarse streaks on its breast and belly with a central breast spot, russet stripes on its crown and back, a broad malar stripe, and a long, rounded tail.
  3. Agree with Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch.
Edited by akandula
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

For the Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Gray-crowned subspecies), note the gray cheek patches which wrap around the back of the head, pink highlights on the belly, rump, and in the wing, black forehead, and dark brown overall.

Thrashers have much thinner, longer bills and have a bigger size than sparrows, as well as a longer tail.

Funny thing is that I am going to go to Banff and Jasper for a little bird-watching next week. Do you have any hotspots for rarer, more local birds like the Rosy-Finch? Thanks. 

Edited by akandula
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, akandula said:

For the Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Gray-crowned subspecies), note the gray cheek patches which wrap around the back of the head, pink highlights on the belly, rump, and in the wing, black forehead, and dark brown overall.

Thrashers have much thinner, longer bills and have a bigger size than sparrows, as well as a longer tail.

Funny thing is that I am going to go to Banff and Jasper for a little bird-watching next week. Do you have any hotspots for rarer, more local birds like the Rosy-Finch? Thanks. 

Hi, Akandula!  Our trip was a hiking (rather than a birding) trip, and we were with a group, so I couldn't spend as much time as I wanted birding & photographing.  Based on our time there, I would say any of the trails off the beaten path would be excellent for birding--but go at daybreak before anybody gets there.  And be sure you hike in groups of at least 4, due to bears.  I saw quite a few birds hiking the The Larch Valley/Valley of the Ten Peaks/Minnestema Lakes.  Also, if you go to the Town of Banff, it was incredibly commercialized and not to my taste (kind of the Gatlinburg of the North to this Southerner 🙄) but there was a great little trail off the Cave & Basin Museum that led into a marsh with a bird blind.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, akandula said:
  1. Agree with breeding adult Spotted Sandpiper. Note the orange bill, heavily spotted breast, and unique bobbing behavior when it walks. 
  2. Song Sparrow. Note the coarse streaks on its breast and belly with a central breast spot, russet stripes on its crown and back, a broad malar stripe, and a long, rounded tail.
  3. Agree with Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch.

agreed

16 hours ago, floraphile said:

Hi, Akandula!  Our trip was a hiking (rather than a birding) trip, and we were with a group, so I couldn't spend as much time as I wanted birding & photographing.  Based on our time there, I would say any of the trails off the beaten path would be excellent for birding--but go at daybreak before anybody gets there.  And be sure you hike in groups of at least 4, due to bears.  I saw quite a few birds hiking the The Larch Valley/Valley of the Ten Peaks/Minnestema Lakes.  Also, if you go to the Town of Banff, it was incredibly commercialized and not to my taste (kind of the Gatlinburg of the North to this Southerner 🙄) but there was a great little trail off the Cave & Basin Museum that led into a marsh with a bird blind.  

Thanks. Sorry to take up your time, but what other birds did you see at the Minnestema Lakes? We were planning to go to Vermillion Lakes for some ducks, Johnston Canyon for a possibility of Black Swifts, Cordilleran Flycatchers, Winter Wrens and warblers, and Bow Summit for ptarmigans, rosy-finches, and Varied Thrushes. Since we were anyway going to Lake Louise, are there any other notable birds in the Minnestema Lakes? Thanks again for your experience.

21 hours ago, floraphile said:

kind of the Gatlinburg of the North

Ouch.  That's about as touristy as it gets this side of Vegas.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:46 AM, akandula said:

Thanks. Sorry to take up your time, but what other birds did you see at the Minnestema Lakes? We were planning to go to Vermillion Lakes for some ducks, Johnston Canyon for a possibility of Black Swifts, Cordilleran Flycatchers, Winter Wrens and warblers, and Bow Summit for ptarmigans, rosy-finches, and Varied Thrushes. Since we were anyway going to Lake Louise, are there any other notable birds in the Minnestema Lakes? Thanks again for your experience.

Hi!  Sorry for the delay--I'm just seeing this message.  We were in a hiking group and couldn't really bird to any extent so as not to hold up the group, and I'm still a novice, so there were many species that I didn't note.  But some I remember seeing in and around Calgary, Canmore, Banff NP, Banff Town, and Yoho include, in addition to the ones I previously posted for ID confirmation:  Osprey (mostly around Canmore.  We saw no raptors at higher elevations), Double Crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Spruce Grouse poop (we didn't see the actual bird, but we saw plenty of poop, confirmed by our naturalist guide), some species of hummingbird (not a Ruby-throat), Belted Kingfisher, Rock Pigeon, Gray Jay, Common Raven, Black-billed Magpie, Red-Winged Black Bird, Clark's Nutcracker, Common Grackle, American Dipper, House Sparrow, what I believe to be a Yellow Warbler (no photo), Black Swift, some type of waterfowl that was not a Mallard, Loon, or Coot, and, around Calgary, a flat-winged raptor that was not an eagle (no photo).  An accomplished birder would have a literal field day 😄 in Banff and Yojo NPs.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 5:46 AM, akandula said:

Thanks. Sorry to take up your time, but what other birds did you see at the Minnestema Lakes? We were planning to go to Vermillion Lakes for some ducks, Johnston Canyon for a

On 7/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

Ouch.  That's about as touristy as it gets this side of Vegas.

possibility of Black Swifts, Cordilleran Flycatchers, Winter Wrens and warblers, and Bow Summit for ptarmigans, rosy-finches, and Varied Thrushes. Since we were anyway going to Lake Louise, are there any other notable birds in the Minnestema Lakes? Thanks again for your experience.

just to clarify--it was I, rather than the birds,  hiking the Larch Valley.  😄 

1 minute ago, floraphile said:

Hi!  Sorry for the delay--I'm just seeing this message.  We were in a hiking group and couldn't really bird to any extent so as not to hold up the group, and I'm still a novice, so there were many species that I didn't note.  But some I remember seeing in and around Calgary, Canmore, Banff NP, Banff Town, and Yoho include, in addition to the ones I previously posted for ID confirmation:  Osprey (mostly around Canmore.  We saw no raptors at higher elevations), Double Crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Spruce Grouse poop (we didn't see the actual bird, but we saw plenty of poop, confirmed by our naturalist guide), some species of hummingbird (not a Ruby-throat), Belted Kingfisher, Rock Pigeon, Gray Jay, Common Raven, Black-billed Magpie, Red-Winged Black Bird, Clark's Nutcracker, Common Grackle, American Dipper, House Sparrow, what I believe to be a Yellow Warbler (no photo), Black Swift, some type of waterfowl that was not a Mallard, Loon, or Coot, and, around Calgary, a flat-winged raptor that was not an eagle (no photo).  An accomplished birder would have a literal field day 😄 in Banff and Yojo NPs.

Very nice birds! I already came back, and lifers that I saw in that same region include the Franklin's Gull, California Gull, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Clay-colored Sparrow, Black Swift, Common Goldeneye, Townsend's Warbler, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, White-winged Crossbill, Boreal Chickadee, Northern Rough-winged Swallows, Fox Sparrow, Wilson's Warbler, Solitary Sandpiper, Prairie Falcon, Ruddy Duck, Greater Scaup, Black Tern, American Pipit, and possibly more! My biggest luck-out was the American Dipper. I can't believe I didn't see it there, even though I looked for it all the time... maybe next time! :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, akandula said:

Very nice birds! I already came back, and lifers that I saw in that same region include the Franklin's Gull, California Gull, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Clay-colored Sparrow, Black Swift, Common Goldeneye, Townsend's Warbler, Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, White-winged Crossbill, Boreal Chickadee, Northern Rough-winged Swallows, Fox Sparrow, Wilson's Warbler, Solitary Sandpiper, Prairie Falcon, Ruddy Duck, Greater Scaup, Black Tern, American Pipit, and possibly more! My biggest luck-out was the American Dipper. I can't believe I didn't see it there, even though I looked for it all the time... maybe next time! :classic_rolleyes:

Wow!  Great trip!  I saw my first American Dipper at Ribbon Falls on the floor of the Grand Canyon.  An interesting fact is that was pointed out to me by an Albertan.  🙂

5 hours ago, akandula said:

Nice assortment. Especially jealous of the rosy-finch and the crossbill (White-winged is an excellent bird). My lifer Three-toed in Glacier NP was one of my favorite birding experiences ever. Speaking of Montana, I saw numerous dippers there as well. I think it's one of the better states for them.

• Like 1