Whatbird Community

This beauty was just hanging out in this spot for close to 2-hours, and still there when I left.  Taken today in Oklahoma.  It is on the smaller side, so I am thinking Gray Heron, but Sbiley's says it can be hard to differentiate from the Great Blue Heron, so would like your thoughts.  Thanks

Gray Heron 6.JPG

Gray Heron 5.JPG

Gray Heron w Ducks 1.JPG

Gray Heron 2.JPG

This is just a Great Blue Heron. Grey Herons would be extremely rare as they normally live in Eurasia and only are vagrants to the U.S., and they have grayer necks (while Great Blues have some brown).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gray Herons don't live in the US.

Edit sniped by akandula and yes there has been a few seen.

Edited by Kevin

Well, that would explain why there is no map showing their range in my Sibley's then.  It is just so small compared to the other Great Blue Herons I have seen.

1 minute ago, jonesmunoz said:

Well, that would explain why there is no map showing their range in my Sibley's then.  It is just so small compared to the other Great Blue Herons I have seen.

Compared with the Mallards, it looks fine in size. Maybe it's just an illusion because the neck is tucked in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, akandula said:

Compared with the Mallards, it looks fine in size. Maybe it's just an illusion because the neck is tucked in.

This fella I got a picture of at Canyon Lake , TX in March this year was a behemoth

Great Blue Heron (1) 3-26-19 Canyon Lake TX.JPG

Edited by jonesmunoz

Posted (edited)

Okay, I wanted to mention a few things. The first Great Blue Heron you posted was an immature, so it might be slightly smaller than the second one. Also, Great Blue Herons are quite variable in terms of length, some being a little more than 3 feet long and others being almost 4.5 feet long. Lastly, it is hard to judge a bird's size by just looking at it, because in different settings and postures, the same bird might look like a behemoth or very small. 

Since some large Grey Herons reach the size of small Great Blue Herons, it is better to look at range and plumage than size.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 2