Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Old Birders!

49 minutes ago, Sean C said:

Because of the recent ruckus in the "Whatbird's Young Birders" page, I'm creating this for all the old folks.

Enjoy!  :classic_wink:

38 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

I'm heading over there right now to see what all the ruckus is about!:classic_ohmy:

7 minutes ago, akandula said:

Sorry about intruding, but what does "old" classify as?

So far the only critters showing up here are the young'uns!! That includes me, since I'm only 13-1/2 (until next Tues, that is! Then I'll be 18-1/2) "Old" classifies as anyone older than me, so I won't be old until I'm the last man standing!! :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

AARP membership starts at 55.  I'd say that's a good minimum.

Having tossed that in, I'm not sure why we're segregating by age at all, older or younger.

🤷‍♂️ I wasn't the one who started "Whatbird's Young Birders" years ago 

Ya know, I drove 6 hours round trip today, for 4 hours of birding.  2 stationary check lists, 1 traveling, 2 incidentals.  230+ photos.  20+ species; I haven't ID'ed everything in the photos yet.

All I know is right now I FEEL old.  But I didn't while I was doing it, and I'll be ready if anyone wants to do it again tomorrow, so I must still be good to go!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Having tossed that in, I'm not sure why we're segregating by age at all, older or younger.

Well, if we classify "Old Birders" as 55 and older, and the "Young Birders" as 21 and under, what about the birders from 21 to 55?? Anyhow, I doubt if the birds classify us by age!  Just saying......... :classic_tongue:

• 1 year later...

26 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

A bump for @Bird Brain @lonestranger @Charlie Spencer and the rest! :classic_biggrin:

Wow! It's been almost 2 years since anyone had posted on here??!!?? Thanks for reviving it, @Seanbirds Guess that shows we old birders are old. I had forgotten about this thread. Now that I'm here, I can't remember what I wanted to say. Oh, well, maybe I'll think of it in a couple more years. :classic_huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

On 7/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

First time reading this thread, so bear with me. Since the young birders one is at 21, and this is 55, do we need a “ 22-54” age one?😉

3 hours ago, IKLland said:

First time reading this thread, so bear with me. Since the young birders one is at 21, and this is 55, do we need a “ 22-54” age one?😉

As I said where you quoted me, I don't know the advantages of the Young or Old discussions.  I'm here primarily for the birding topics.   I don't view the Internet as a social touchpoint.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 12:38 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

As I said where you quoted me, I don't know the advantages of the Young or Old discussions.  I'm here primarily for the birding topics.   I don't view the Internet as a social touchpoint.

Same. That was just a joke. I also don’t see what the point of these threads are. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IKLland said:

Same. That was just a joke. I also don’t see what the point of these threads are. 

Before the crash, the Young Birders thread was very active, with lots of social stuff, as I recall (though I didn't look at it much).  It appears the current crop of Future Middle-aged Birders is less interested in socializing on Whatbird.

I'm officially an Old Birder.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IKLland said:

I also don’t see what the point of these threads are.

I can see value to the Young Birders discussion.

I'm going into pop psychology mode here.  'Tweens', adolescents, and young adults are often trying to find their places in life.  Birding hasn't been the hippest and coolest of hobbies, and peers may disdain for it.  Taking up a new hobby can be daunting even for people who are otherwise comfortable in their skin.  Especially during COVID restrictions, it may be useful to have a collection of interested peers to bounce notions off, both on bird topics and life in general.  People of all ages have always extended their conversations beyond the focus of a targeted group; there's no reason for young birders to be any different.

Or they could just be looking for a place to post their annoying 'back of camera' photos and their Hippity-Hoppity so-called 'music'.  :classic_tongue:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Or they could just be looking for a place to post their annoying 'back of camera' photos and their Hippity-Hoppity so-called 'music'.  :classic_tongue:

I think that was at least part of the reasoning behind the original young birders thread from before the big crash. I think it was originally intended to group the youngster into a controlled environment where they were allowed to have fun being youngsters without that fun getting in the way of the normal IDs and birding discussions elsewhere in the forums. It was looked on as the place to let loose and be silly. Obviously a few of us older members still feel the need to let their childish silliness loose now and then, which explains why some of us post in there now and then, unlike @Charlie Spencer who probably just looks in the young birders thread for that Hippity-Hoppity music he referred to. 😄

• Haha 7

Okay so I avoided this thread because I take exception to the use of the word "old"! I'm vintage😉 But, seriously what are old birders going to discuss here that would only be relevant to vintage birders?

No wants to hear how my photography has taken a toll because my eye sight isn't what it use to be...... correct? 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Clip said:

Okay so I avoided this thread because I take exception to the use of the word "old"! I'm vintage😉 But, seriously what are old birders going to discuss here that would only be relevant to vintage birders?

No wants to hear how my photography has taken a toll because my eye sight isn't what it use to be...... correct? 

Or how important it is to bird with someone who can still hear Brown Creepers and Cedar Waxwings.

• Like 2