Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Old Birders!

Sean C

Three quarters of a century this year (puts it in perspective saying it that way) but I still haven't taken a class in emoji meanings, but then I would have to get a stronger pair of "close up" glasses, ah forget it ?.

PS. I noticed @akandula earlier in this thread, was a great resource for the forum.

• Like 5

Warming up to the theme. I suspect that some of the more mature birders may tend to:

1. Visit local hot spots less than 15 minutes away.

2. During their visits spend more time talking with old buddies than actually birding (possibly discussing common ailments and then moving on to music, maybe spanning '30s to the current day, especially if the old buddy is in a band).

3. After too much time standing around talking decide that the foot/back/knee pain requires an end to the visit.

Of course none of the above applies to my outing this morning, although I did manage to grab a couple of Hummingbird photos despite the rain.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird HVT 7539203-.jpg

Ruby-throated Hummingbird if HVT 7539259-.jpg

• Like 12

1.  Most weeks I try to get in a trip at least 30 minutes away.

2.  I bird alone more often than with a group. When with a group, birding is usually my primary focus.

3.  Joint pain rarely sends me home.  My left knee gives me trouble but I'm too stubborn / stupid to let it send me to the car.

Sorry, I don't fit the profile (yet).

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

1.  Most weeks I try to get in a trip at least 30 minutes away.

2.  I bird alone more often than with a group. When with a group, birding is usually my primary focus.

3.  Joint pain rarely sends me home.  My left knee gives me trouble but I'm too stubborn / stupid to let it send me to the car.

Sorry, I don't fit the profile (yet).

Pretty close to my approach, I exaggerated the ailments just to add a No.3 (I'm usually good for two to three hours, although some minor arthritis in my right hand is becoming a nuisance for motorcycling).

My local hot spots are right in town so heavily frequented, particularly by fellow dog walkers that I have known for many years.

Planning a visit an hour away on Thursday (combined with a Costco run, another sign?) to find a Canada Warbler.

Don't be sorry about not fitting the (distorted) profile, make the most of it.

Once again I didn't add the appropriate emojis, I was really just joking.

• Like 2

Well, now I know I'm not the only one that fits the profile! I took some pain medication for my sciatica (probably a result from carrying heavy camera gear for forty years) before heading out on a one and a half hour trip to photograph shorebirds. Getting down low in the sand is still relatively easy but getting back up is a pain in the...well..everything!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Moving this thread to the General Birding Topics section in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,.....

On 7/24/2019 at 3:33 PM, akandula said:

what does "old" classify as?

I do believe I have the solution to that...

Can you remember man landing on the Moon? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Was that countdown in Standard numbers or that new-fangled Metric stuff?

The one I just did? That was in Standard. If I tried to do anything in metric I would leave at the wong time, end up at the wrong place, and wonder why the thermostat said it was 40, when it is clearly much hotter than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

I do believe I have the solution to that...

Can you remember man landing on the Moon? 

Yep, remember it well. In fact, I was already married, my wife had a bun in the oven, and I had completed a hitch in the Army including a tour of Vietnam. Guess that makes me old........

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Yep, remember it well. In fact, I was already married, my wife had a bun in the oven, and I had completed a hitch in the Army including a tour of Vietnam. Guess that makes me old........

I remember it but I was little more than a toddler.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, RobinHood said:

1. Visit local hot spots less than 15 minutes away.

2. During their visits spend more time talking with old buddies than actually birding (possibly discussing common ailments and then moving on to music, maybe spanning '30s to the current day, especially if the old buddy is in a band).

There are very few hot spots within 15 minutes of us sadly. My husband and have traveled all over Florida birding. Drive is not the problem.

I prefer to bird alone or just with my husband because my back cannot stand the standing around. I no longer do group hikes for exactly this reason. They move to slow and my back can't take the standing around.

Since we are fairly new to Florida no old buddies to run into.

• Like 1

One thing that is different from younger birding (I was in my early 40s when I started birding) to older birding is anything over 3 1/2 hours away requires an over night stay. Younger I wouldn't have thought twice about making it a day trip.

Walking limit is about 2 1/2 miles round trip before I'm in too much pain (back) to continue.

Hot and I do not get along!

I love areas that you can bird from the car or get out for just short periods of time...

• Like 4