Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Old Birders!


Sean C

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

I don't think he meant to be offensive

Neither do I, it’s just that I don’t agree with the “It was just a joke.” excuse,(Disclaimer: I’m not specifically talking about you, nor am I saying you are like this) I feel like many young people nowadays say “It was just a joke” as an excuse for an offensive comment that simply shouldn’t have been made.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Snake Fingers said:

Neither do I, it’s just that I don’t agree with the “It was just a joke.” excuse,(Disclaimer: I’m not specifically talking about you, nor am I saying you are like this) I feel like many young people nowadays say “It was just a joke” as an excuse for an offensive comment that simply shouldn’t have been made.  

I understand what you mean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, "It's just a joke" doesn't justify offensive jokes. Neither does "I/he/she didn't mean to be offensive". I know nothing about the intent behind the comment, I just know how it felt to me to read it. I certainly hope that no offense was meant, and I would readily believe that to be the case, but offense did occur nonetheless.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 5:28 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

I gave notice at work today.  No sooner than July 7th, no later than January 5th '24.

Have you firmed up your retirement date yet, @Charlie Spencer?  Any retirement plans in place yet or just going to play it day by day?  Are you just going to keep birding from places close to home whenever you feel like it?  Maybe you have plans to do your birding from a new retirement location?  Perhaps your plans include birding from all kinds of new places while you travel?  Or is there a remote chance that birding will take the back seat while you focus on other interests?  

One last curiosity of mine, once you do retire, is your darling bride going to be encouraging you to go birding more often to get you out of the house, or will she be be complaining that you are never home because you're birding too much?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@lonestranger

1) 24 November, the Friday after Thanksgiving.

2) & 4) We'll be moving, but we haven't decided where.  Staying in the southeast - SC, NC, VA.  No hurry.

3) % 5) Initially, I'll be birding mostly within a 60-90 minute radius.  We'll be travelling, with an Alaska cruise and New Mexico on the list.

6) No.

7) Darling Bride already asks is there isn't someplace else I should be.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Speaking of which, anyone here live in the NC or VA coastal plain?  Charlotte, Research Triangle, Richmond, etc?  If so, what do you like or dislike about living in your area?

Thanks!

You want to come to Texas. Definitely. We have a wide array of options you will LOVE! 

If you like the city life you can just head out to west Texas(Trust me, that sign saying "100 miles till next gas, 300 till the next tree" is just joking.). If the county air catches your fancy Houston has some nice small roads, like a 6 lane interstate, that are certainly never clogged up. And the weather is positively lovely! We have a nice array of extreme heat, ice storms, hurricanes, tornados, mostly incessant wind(it's only nice 65mph on the gusts), droughts and flashfloods. All the comforts of home to, fire ants, mosquitoes, flies, mesquite trees, cactus, ivy, etc. 

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

You want to come to Texas. Definitely. We have a wide array of options you will LOVE! 

If you like the city life you can just head out to west Texas(Trust me, that sign saying "100 miles till next gas, 300 till the next tree" is just joking.). If the county air catches your fancy Houston has some nice small roads, like a 6 lane interstate, that are certainly never clogged up. And the weather is positively lovely! We have a nice array of extreme heat, ice storms, hurricanes, tornados, mostly incessant wind(it's only nice 65mph on the gusts), droughts and flashfloods. All the comforts of home to, fire ants, mosquitoes, flies, mesquite trees, cactus, ivy, etc. 

On my way!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

2) & 4) We'll be moving, but we haven't decided where.  Staying in the southeast - SC, NC, VA.  No hurry.

I'm not sure whether I should jokingly, or seriously, suggest that you start looking at eBird to help you decide your retirement location. Besides choosing a location with the most species to give you the most variety near home, you might also want to look for areas that have plenty of sightings of a favorite bird. Potential neighborhoods where Pileated Woodpeckers are sighted frequently, may, or may not, be something worth looking into. :classic_wink:

You could also search eBird for areas to avoid those undesirable birds such as Starlings and House Sparrows, too. :classic_laugh:

Edited by lonestranger
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I'm not sure whether I should jokingly, or seriously, suggest that you start looking at eBird to help you decide your retirement location.

Well, we want to be midway between the ocean and mountains, preferably within a couple of hours of each.  That's as much influence as birding is going to have on the eventual destination.  I've repeatedly said here that one can bird ANYWHERE.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Well, we want to be midway between the ocean and mountains, preferably within a couple of hours of each.  That's as much influence as birding is going to have on the eventual destination.  I've repeatedly said here that one can bird ANYWHERE.

I'm 1 1/2 hours to the beach, 1 1/2 to the desert, and 1 1/2 to year round snow ... but it's full around here. 😋  Oh yeah, and I saw two pileated's while at work this week. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SirVive said:

I'm 1 1/2 hours to the beach, 1 1/2 to the desert, and 1 1/2 to year round snow ... but it's full around here. 😋  Oh yeah, and I saw two pileated's while at work this week. 

One consideration is my mother.  At 88, she's still reasonably active but the days when she can live by herself are quickly passing.  We'll either need to be a few minutes away or convince her to move in with us.

I've made a couple of trips to the Pacific Northwest but permanently relocating there is HIGHLY unlikely, but thanks for the not-an-invitation anyway 😉 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2023 at 8:02 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

Well, we want to be midway between the ocean and mountains, preferably within a couple of hours of each.  That's as much influence as birding is going to have on the eventual destination.  I've repeatedly said here that one can bird ANYWHERE.

 

I live ~ 4 hrs from the beach and ~ 3 hours to the Smokeys.  It is difficult birding in the middle of NC.  Migrations misses us a lot.  Don't get me wrong, I like living here, but if I want to see higher numbers of birds, I have to travel.  Maybe it would be better in SC?  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Today is (theoretically) the last day of my semi-professional career.  One of my co-workers called me about a computer problem.  When I got to his desk, instead of the problem, he gave me this.

It measures about 2.5-feet square.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bd963a283eb3356acbcfaf7350472cf.jpeg

That is awesome.  Congrats Charlie.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Today is (theoretically) the last day of my semi-professional career.  One of my co-workers called me about a computer problem.  When I got to his desk, instead of the problem, he gave me this.

It measures about 2.5-feet square.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bd963a283eb3356acbcfaf7350472cf.jpeg

What a nice gift!  Congratulations on your retirement!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Clip said:

So what is next for you?

Moving in with Mom in coastal NC.  Mom is 88 and has done her best since Dad died a couple of years ago, but she really needs full-time company.  She's hasn't been good with directions or navigation for a few decades, and she's tired of going to just the three places she can remember (convenience store, grocery, Subway).  She has 1600 sq ft with just her and the dog.  Houses and cars are all paid for, hers and ours.  We'll sort stuff into piles for Move, Store, or Dispose, and put the house on the market in Jan or Feb.

We're too laid back to hit the ground running; too much like work!  We're already familiar with the area.  Kayaking will wait until the water warms back up.  Pickleball may be on the agenda.  My primary birding concentration will be improving my shorebird skills.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...