Whatbird Community

Whatbird's Old Birders!

Sean C

19 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

She's hasn't been good with directions or navigation for a few decades,

My dad had trouble with directions later in life that caused quite a few problems. After living the later half of his life in California, my oldest brother convinced dad to move back to Canada where he had family to help care for him. Dad was very independent and preferred driving himself wherever he wanted to go, including from LA to Toronto, where he got turned around a few times but managed to find his way. While he had no trouble going to visit family and friends hours away when he was here, he often got confused when driving to and from local destinations and would call for help when he got turned around. In pursuit of more independence, dad moved from my eldest brothers house to my next oldest brother house. Dad had a hard time accepting the aging process and didn't want to acknowledge that he was simply getting too old to do certain things. Because we tried to restrict his driving, and because dad was dad, he ended packing up his SUV and driving back to California. I believe he made it as far as Ohio before getting turned around and needing to stop and call for help. My oldest brother flew from Toronto to Ohio and then drove dad the rest of the way to California and set him up in a seniors residence. Dad was stubborn and didn't accept help very well when it was offered, driving or otherwise, but I think the bigger problem was dad living under someone else's roof and not really feeling at home or in control of his own life. Hopefully by moving in with your mom she'll be in a better position to accept your help and keep a sense of independence at the same time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Hopefully by moving in with your mom she'll be in a better position to accept your help and keep a sense of independence at the same time.

It was partially her idea, so we didn't have to sell it.  I don't think she cares much about her independence.  Her priority was to remain in her neighborhood, but she's tired of not being able to find her way anywhere (or back), and of having to deal with daily frustrations (bills, etc.).  We discretely do all of the driving; at some point we'll try convincing her to sell her 2016 Honda CR-V.

• Like 3

My brother has dealt with his wife's grandmother in a similar type situation and they finally solved the driving off and getting lost issue by disguising her fairly new white car they couldn't convince her to sell with a couple of blue racing stripes with that peel off paint. 😄  Then they just proceeded to use it as if they had just gotten a new car. She didn't realize it was her's they were driving her around in. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SirVive said:

My brother has dealt with his wife's grandmother in a similar type situation and they finally solved the driving off and getting lost issue by disguising her fairly new white car they couldn't convince her to sell with a couple of blue racing stripes with that peel off paint. 😄  Then they just proceeded to use it as if they had just gotten a new car. She didn't realize it was her's they were driving her around in. 

Mom is still more functional than that.  She'd know her car was gone.  She's said something about NC licensing drivers above a certain age, and made comments about not replacing the car because she won't be driving much longer, so she knows she'll stop at some point.  We're not worried about her driving; she just wants to get out of the house and she's usually agreeable to having one of us drive.  At some point we'll want her undriven car out of the driveway and to drop the insurance.

My bro in law and his wife removed the battery from her mother's car.  When she tried to drive it, they say that it must be broken and 'call' for repairs.  She'd forget about it in a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

My grandmother's sister has dementia, but she doesn't know it and is too stubborn to go to get help. The driving got so bad she finally took the car keys away, her sister thinks she lost them and has been looking for over a year. My grandmother goes over twice a week to take care of her and her neighbors keep an eye out for her. Unfortunately though she'll have to go to a home soon....

• Sad 4

Well, I knew it could catch up to me. Last year on our 5' tall Christmas tree there were only two lights out that I found within changing three bulbs. This year there was some 79 burned out LED bulbs (thoroughly unimpressed with the claims of LED's vs their results BTW.) and I changed nearly every bulb trying to find all the bad ones. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

79?  That's time to toss the string and get a new one.  I hope you made notes on which bulbs you replaced, because you'll have to do the rest of them next December.

We totally agree. Next year it will be getting a "constant on" string.

20231126_161146.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

We totally agree. Next year it will be getting a "constant on" string.

20231126_161146.jpg

I remember ages ago replacing every bulb in a string and then un-replacing it to find the burned out one. But I thought nowadays they stay lit up if one bulb goes out? 

That's a pretty tree. Did you play "Blue Christmas" when you set it up?

• Haha 1