Whatbird Community

Need ID Help - Several Birds

I've had a few bird photos that I seem to have misidentified on eBird, and they've been flagged as unconfirmed. Even a few that the eBird reviewer and I have already reviewed again and confirmed again. Most I'm just struggling with and I've been working six days a week, my head is spinning, so I thought I would go to ask the audience and see if anyone had any other opinions or help to offer. It is much appreciated!

1) I IDd as Song Sparrow. It was taken two weeks ago at 7500 feet in the Bighorn Mountains, eastern side, Hunters Creek area.

2019%2007%2021%20Song%20Sparrow%20Hunter

2) July 5th, 2019 Taken along Little Firehole, WY south of Rock Springs. There is a little tiny canyon along a road that boasts Virginia's Warblers. The song was spot on for a VIWA, but I'm wondering if the photo is actually a Yellow Warbler upon closer review.

2019%2007%2005%20Virginia%20Warbler%20Li

3 ) July 3, 2019 - Baby Lakes trail/meadow in the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest, south central WY. 8800' in elevation. There were a few swallow like birds flying over head, but not close enough or in the trees to see what. Found this call on a nest, and thought Tree Sparrow. Maybe not?

2019%2007%2003%20Tree%20Swallow%20Baby%2

4) July 1, 2019, Hutton Lake NWR, south of Laramie, WY. Baird's Sandpiper, but admittedly, the sandpipers (and flycatchers and gulls) are my nemesis for ID it seems.

2019%2007%2001%20Bairds%20Sandpiper%20Hu

5) June 1, 2019, Sheridan, WY along Little Goose Creek. Lack of eye ring and typical behavior of a Western Wood Pewee, but I guess not correct there either. It really has too much white on the wing bar, and maybe the eye ring is just faint, possible Least?

2019%2006%2001%20Western%20Wood%20Pewee%

6) May 11, 2019, Scott Bicentennial Park - Dayton WY, I had it down for a Northern Rough-winged Swallow. There were two groups of swallows, and this one was high up in the tree so the light was a little tricky. Bank maybe, by the chest patch?

2019%2005%2011%20Northern%20Rough%20Wing

7) a, b, c, d, e - back to the peeps, April 24, 2019, Salt Plains NWR in OK. I put all in is Baird.

a

2019%2004%2024%20Bairds%20Sandpiper%20Se

b)

c)

d)

e)

8 ) and back to flycatchers. These are the three I'm fairly sure my eBird reviewer (one I know for sure) has already cleared.

June 5, 2018, Brinton Rd in Bighorn WY.

Willow?

a)

2018%2007%2005%20Willow%20Flycatcher%20B

b)

2018%2007%2005%20Willow%20Flycatcher%20B

9) August 30, 2018, Sheridan, WY, Little Goose Creek. eBird reviewer says the eye ring should be good for a Least Flycatcher, but someone has gone in and unconfirmed it no less than three times. I would love to know what they think it is. Since I can't get that, I want to know what you think it is!

2018%2008%2030%20Least%20Flycatcher%20PS

10) a, b, c Tom Thorn/Beth Williams WHMA, WY, which is sort of in the middle of nowhere, a great little riparian area in the forest, but not super high elevation. I don't know why these sparrows are kicking my butt here. The eye line I think should be Chipping, or maybe White Crowned, but that doesn't fit the chest speckling. Aug 18, 2018. Then obviously we might have two different species here.

a)

2018%2008%2018%20Chipping%20Sparrow%20Th

b)

It could just be they were fledglings and the speckling is throwing me off.

c) because I think I originally went with White Crowned, got unconfirmed, went with Chipping, got unconfirmed...

11) Finally, what I originally IDd as a Ruby-crowned Kinglet due to the size, yellow coloring, white eye-ring, by beak looks to be some kind of vireo instead. We get Red-eyed and Warbling, but this one doesn't fit that really, so I thought I better be sure and ask for advice.

2016%2007%2023%20Ruby%20Crowned%20Kingle

I have to admit, it is sometimes discouraging to know I'm wrong and not be able to put my finger on what it is I'm looking at, quite clearly. I guess if .01% of what I put in eBird I misidentify, I'm probably doing pretty good, but my OCD doesn't allow for that.

Thanks again in advance, any IDs I get here will help me with accurate data, and I appreciate it!

T

That's a lot of birds :classic_blink:

1. Looks like Clay-colored/Brewer's Sparrow

2. Yes, Yellow Warbler

3. Violet-green due to white around the eye

4. I like Least Sandpiper here

5. Not sure, but primary projection doesn't seem near long enough for WEWP

6. Tree Swallow due to really defined light/dark lines

7. Not sure, but Baird's looks okay... straight relatively short bill and black legs.

8. Yeah, Willow with that big bill I think.

9. I've never seen anything similar with that eyering and I believe I've seen all the other possibilities. So yeah, I think Least is a good call from what I know.

10. a. Clay-colored I think?

b. and c. Chipping

11. Looks like a disheveled warbler... Yellow is my best guess.

6 minutes ago, Melierax said:

That's a lot of birds :classic_blink:

LOL, if it helps, I have 9,252 photos in eBird, and have only been birding since 2013. It's really helped me with comparisons, and also because my older eyes are just not very good at seeing things up in the trees and so on. And of those 9k photos, right now I only need help with this many! Whew!

Thank you, I'll go make some corrections and ponder a bit more on those that seem to be good! I really do appreciate it!

• Like 1

Yeah that's a lot but I love ID challenges! :classic_wink:

1: I think Clay-colored

2: I agree with YEWA

3: I agree with VGSW

4: I agree with LESA due to yellow legs

5: Western Wood-pewee

6: I agree with TRES

7: I agree with all being Baird's

8: I agree with WIFL

9: Actually looks better for Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (wait for an expert to confirm, though)

10 a: Pass

10 b & c: I agree with CHSP

11: I agree with YEWA

1. Why not Vesper Sparrow?

2. Sure doesn't look like a Yellow Warbler to me with that pink beak and drab yellow plumage.  I don't know what it is, though.

5. I can't see this as a Wood-Pewee.  I think Willow.

8. a) Western Wood-Pewee (big, peaked head; long primary projection)
     b) Willow Flycatcher

I suggest breaking these kinds of threads up into multiple posts with similar species next time.

Here are my thoughts: Also I agree with The Bird Nuts that this was likely too many for one post.

1) I like Vesper here too

2) Not sure

3) VGSW

4) Least

5) Empid sp.

6) Tree

7) c doesn't look like a Baird's to me but everything else does

8- Agree with Pewee and Willow 

9- Another angle may help but I'm thinking a fresh Willow

10) a- pass, b+c- Chipping

11) Yellow Warbler

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sean C said:

Yeah that's a lot but I love ID challenges! :classic_wink:

1: I think Clay-colored

2: I agree with YEWA

3: I agree with VGSW

4: I agree with LESA due to yellow legs

5: Western Wood-pewee

6: I agree with TRES

7: I agree with all being Baird's

8: I agree with WIFL

9: Actually looks better for Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (wait for an expert to confirm, though)

10 a: Pass

10 b & 😄 I agree with CHSP

11: I agree with YEWA

This is Wyoming, so not YBFL (at least, it shouldn't be)

Edited by Melierax

Thanks all! To be honest, I've posted a few times with just a bird or two and sometimes don't even get a response. I wondered if maybe people see the title or one bird and think they don't know gulls, or flycatchers, and just move on without even looking sometimes. I know with my limited skills in those areas, I would. I've had better luck with a larger bunch of birds to ID in general than just one or two. But I'll take that into account next time. I will dig through the answers and see if I can tweak the IDs a bit more. Again, many thanks! I've been working six days a week, and that's taken a lot of steam out of birding all summer, and I just don't feel as sharp, so I appreciate your input all the more.

9 hours ago, okaugust said:

Thanks all! To be honest, I've posted a few times with just a bird or two and sometimes don't even get a response. I wondered if maybe people see the title or one bird and think they don't know gulls, or flycatchers, and just move on without even looking sometimes. I know with my limited skills in those areas, I would. I've had better luck with a larger bunch of birds to ID in general than just one or two. But I'll take that into account next time. I will dig through the answers and see if I can tweak the IDs a bit more. Again, many thanks! I've been working six days a week, and that's taken a lot of steam out of birding all summer, and I just don't feel as sharp, so I appreciate your input all the more.

As to whether anyone's looking, the forum shows the number of times each post has been viewed over on the right side.

Personally, when I see a post with at lot of pictures like this one or the one linked below, my eyes immediately glaze over.  Just the words 'Several Birds' in the title will indeed often run me off.  I confess I'm too lazy too keep scrolling back up, find the bird I'm replying about, back to the bottom to post on it, back up to the next, read a reply, scroll up to see the bird it's about, etc.

Also, as a network administrator, I'm a bit picky about the value of data.  A post with multiple subjects isn't as useful to other people who may search for a specific bird.  If you were searching for a Violet-Streaked Cricket Scarfer, would you rather open a search result with just VSCS or one you had to scroll several times through to find it among multiple, often similar birds?  I realize not everyone manages data for a living, but it does color the way I view information.

Just me.  Others obviously aren't as bothered because you're getting responses and IDs.  

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Personally, when I see a post with at lot of pictures like this one or the one linked below, my eyes immediately glaze over.  Just the words 'Several Birds' in the title will indeed often run me off.  I confess I'm too lazy too keep scrolling back up, find the bird I'm replying about, back to the bottom to post on it, back up to the next, read a reply, scroll up to see the bird it's about, etc.

Ditto!

• Like 1