Whatbird Community

Aug. 1, 2019, 10:00 am

Flying above a drying up pond

douglas fir, ponderosa pine forest surrounding pond, with some rose hips and yarrow

two swift looking birds. Undersides were black with two white stripes underside of each wing. May have been white on underside of tail. Bigger than the swallows that we’re flying nearby. 

I suppose Ponderosa Pine is a western  location, but how about Lark Bunting?  Or did Nighthawk look like your bird.  And I suspect you meant one white stripe under each of two wings.   Not quite sure.  Location is of interest as well ( like what state ).

Edited by joe
word order

Thanks for the info- sorry about my lack of info. This was in Summerland, British Columbia, in a Ponderosa Pine and Fir forest. I think it may have been a Common Nighthawk, but it was jet black on the underside, not brown as in the pictures on IBird Canada. I would like to see a photo of the underside of a Lark Bunting. Do they have stripes?

Sorry Charlie- I’m a newbie to this forum. When I originally googled to try to ID the bird, the first thing that popped up was the forum. 

I will be sure to make my title pointed and relevant next time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Norma Jean said:

Sorry Charlie- I’m a newbie to this forum. When I originally googled to try to ID the bird, the first thing that popped up was the forum. 

I will be sure to make my title pointed and relevant next time. 

No apologies needed!  And a belated 'Welcome!'