Whatbird Community

In sicamous BC (lower interior) at 10am.

The bird was a perching type, it was small, beak to tail maybe 6 inches. 

It had a lightish blue head. Yellow collar half inch thick around its throat. White chest/belly. Its wings were a couple colours but I can't recall the delineation, certainly part was black. The back and tail was either black or grey or a dark dusty blue (it was hard to see). No picture, sorry. 

At first I didn't think but now that I've seen more photos of of the LB it very well could be. When the bird is sitting squat it resembles what I saw more. But the one I saw was very small, I wonder if I saw a younger bird. 

Thanks for your ID! 

24 minutes ago, Lookingforabird said:

But the one I saw was very small, I wonder if I saw a younger bird. 

Welcome to Whatbird, Lookingforabird.

Size is notoriously hard to judge in the field. Most birds are full grown, the same size as adults, when they leave the nest. Calling a bird a juvenile just by it's size doesn't usually work. In fact, some juvenile birds can actually be bigger than their parents because the parents tend to feed their babies better than they feed themselves. It's easy to fall victim to the size issue, we've all done it, but size is really hard to gauge and not the best ID feature to use.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

In fact, some juvenile birds can actually be bigger than their parents because the parents tend to feed their babies better than they feed themselves.

Picking up on what @lonestranger said, there are also brood parasites like cowbirds.  They lay their eggs in the nests of other species.  Sometimes the adults of those species are significantly smaller than the young cowbirds they're feeding.

Edited by Charlie Spencer