Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
tclarkwood

2018 Any Bluebirds Nesting Yet?

Thank you Admin for bringing back backyard birds!  Much appreciated! 

I wanted to give an update on my bluebird pair and what has happened.   I told you about the raccoon wrecking my bluebird house and taking my  babies back in late May early June.   That was the second brood.  My third brood was completely successful with all 4 bluebird babies fledging last week.  The nest was in a small chickadee house so it goes to show that bluebirds can be resourceful with what they raise their young in .. The house was clearly too small but the bluebirds didn't care and made it work.  Now is the interesting part... Will my pair attempt a 4th brood?  I am going to clear out the chickadee box and washout the traditional bluebird box to see if they do. Interestingly,  I have not seen the parents or youngsters around much so I'm not exactly sure where they have been?  I trapped and removed 3 raccoons so I think that there is a chance that they could use the normal box without being vandalized again.  I certainly removed the raccoon that did the damage with the second brood.  I'll keep everyone posted about what they do next.  It usually takes a couple weeks before the female starts building a new nest.  I hope others have had success with our bluebird friends this season! 

Just curious, do you use raccoon baffles on your boxes?  So, I don't have any updates at all on my Bluebirds.  Shortly after our second brood fledged, we packed up and moved to Alabama.  I've gone back a couple of times tying up loose ends, and the birds are still there.  Keep landing on the feeder poles that no longer have feeders on them.

Yes... I have a predator baffle. That is why I was so perplexed on how the raccoon got past it. It either jumped from the ground about 4-5 feet in the air or it somehow got traction on the baffle itself.  I don’t know how it would have done either but it did.  Blew my mind.  You going to be in North, Central or South Alabama? 

I have still not seen the bluebirds lately?  I am not sure where they have gone?   Looks like its only going to be 3 broods this year. 😓

The last brood of babies, (brood 3),  have been hanging around my suet feeders so there is still some activity.   Looks like 3 broods will be all that I have this year.