Whatbird Community

7 minutes ago, Jodi Nielson said:

Thanks. Check another new one off the list...

Hmm...I add my new ones to the list. Okay, I'm just playing with you. Congrats on the lifer!

@HamRHead  Ah, you would check an item off of a list that already exists but you would add an item to a list that is work in progress.  I actually have both.  Printed the ABA checklist but also keep track on a list of my own creation.  Really only started keeping track in April, and I'm nearing the 100 mark.  😀

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jodi Nielson said:

@HamRHead  Ah, you would check an item off of a list that already exists but you would add an item to a list that is work in progress.  I actually have both.  Printed the ABA checklist but also keep track on a list of my own creation.  Really only started keeping track in April, and I'm nearing the 100 mark.  😀

Makes sense. I once did something similar during a family birding contest. One list was birds I wanted to see and the other list was birds that I saw.

Do you use eBird? I didn't for the longest time after I started birding, but now that's my only list. Well, except for mental lists of birds that I might see at a given destination.

Edited by HamRHead
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jodi Nielson said:

I'm going to second HamRHead's suggestion to try eBird.  It lets you create your own list and then sorts and filters it for you by date, species, location, or state.  It also allows you to attach photos and sound recordings.  You can also export all your data into a spreadsheet.  There's a great phone app that lets you enter your sightings from the field.

The bigger benefit is that your sightings are combined with those of hundreds of thousands of other birders into a database.  The combined numbers are used for scientific research, tracking trends like migration, species growth and decline, range expansion or shrinkage, etc.

If you've only been tracking since April, this is a great time to jump in.  If you want to try it and need help, let me know.

https://ebird.org/home

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

...There's a great phone app that lets you enter your sightings from the field.

I used eBird for some time before giving the app a try. Prior to using the app I had a system that I thought suited me better. After using the app one time, I never looked back. Now I can't imagine reverting to my old method. I don't often use location services on my phone, but one exception is the eBird app. It is a big time saver to have it track my mileage. Another plus for me is being able to see instantly if a bird is rare for date or location. This gives me a chance to try for a photo to help with confirmation.

• Like 2

@Charlie Spencer how is it that you have likes and I don't? Where is the equity? I demand...uh...something...not sure what. I'm still curious--if I go back to likes I have previously doled out and remove them, do I have them back to "spend" again?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

@Charlie Spencer how is it that you have likes and I don't? Where is the equity? I demand...uh...something...not sure what. I'm still curious--if I go back to likes I have previously doled out and remove them, do I have them back to "spend" again?

@HamRHead, you need to manage your 'Likes' better, instead of dropping them everywhere like a cowbird in a chicken coop.

Don't get me on my 'Unlimited Likes' platform this early in the morning.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@HamRHead, you need to manage your 'Likes' better, instead of dropping them everywhere like a cowbird in a aviary.

Don't get me on my 'Unlimited Likes' platform this early in the morning.

:classic_laugh: touché

Edited by HamRHead

Here is an example of an eBird track which is generated by the app. You can enlarge and zoom in for more detail.

EBird track.JPG

Thanks for all the great info.  I'll look into eBird, it would be nice to be able to help out with data collection.  Your site is great and so much wonderful photography--I get lost in the pictures.  Y'all are so helpful and good-humored when I post for ID help, it makes it fun to participate.   Thanks again for helping out the new "kid" (55 tomorrow--lol) 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jodi Nielson said:

Thanks for all the great info.  I'll look into eBird, it would be nice to be able to help out with data collection.  Your site is great and so much wonderful photography--I get lost in the pictures.  Y'all are so helpful and good-humored when I post for ID help, it makes it fun to participate.   Thanks again for helping out the new "kid" (55 tomorrow--lol) 😀

I agree about the site; it's a great place and I've learned a lot. And have a blessed day tomorrow. That's about the age I got started, and I'm definitely a kid, or will be as soon as I finish therapy.:classic_tongue:

• Like 1