Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
pinelaker

Barn Owl v Great Horned

Was in Walnut Creek, CA driving through a suburban neighborhood late last night when I saw what I thought was a light colored cat on the road by the sidewalk. It looked right at me and then took flight! At first it leaped right towards the car and then turned around mid-air to avoid a collision. I hit the brakes pretty hard and it ended up flying inches in front of my windshield for a few seconds before the car came to a stop. It was pretty spectacular. 

Obviously no time for a picture so I wanted to get a sense of whether this behavior sounds indicative of a barn owl. My first thought was great horned, but upon further reflection I remember the light colored "cat like" face and the fact that I was in a very suburban neighborhood and it was just perched on the street (perhaps with some prey). It was also quite big which I think rules out a few other owls. 

Thanks for the input as always

Without know much about either owl I would say the Great Horned Owls ear Tufts would make it look like it had cat ears :)

Regrettably I can't remember if I actually saw "ears". I mostly thought it was cat at first because of where it was, by the sidewalk in the street. It was around midnight, so owl was my assumption since it was clearly a large raptor.  

Are some hawks active that late?