Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Morris

Shorebird ID help

I know the identity of the two bigger birds, but would love help on the shorebirds on the left and right.  This scene is from the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge in Willows today. 

mystery birds.jpg

Edited by Jim Morris

Yes, looks like Dowitchers. And maybe Short-billed based on structural appearance and location, but I have next to no experience with these birds.

Is that a Fulvous-Whistling Duck? I’ve never seen that breast spotting on one before, and the back pattern looks strange, although it may just be the angle.

4 hours ago, blackburnian said:

Is that a Fulvous-Whistling Duck? I’ve never seen that breast spotting on one before, and the back pattern looks strange, although it may just be the angle.

Are you referring to the duck in the upper right?

50 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Are you referring to the duck in the upper right?

I'm going to guess that @blackburnian was referring to the duck behind the Ibis since you can't see the breast spotting on the one in the upper right. :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

Just now, lonestranger said:

I'm going to guess that @blackburnian was referring to the duck behind the Ibis since you can't see the breast spotting on the one in the upper right. :classic_unsure:

Oh, I didn't even see that bird!  :classic_blush:

Never mind.

Yes, shorebirds are definitely Dowitchers. I don't know how exactly to tell them apart, but they do look like the Short-billed that I see around Southeast Michigan.

Isn't the duck a Northern Pintail?

Edited by geoffclarke

6 hours ago, blackburnian said:

I was wondering the same thing last night. I was thinking maybe just a pintail however. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akiley said:

I was wondering the same thing last night. I was thinking maybe just a pintail however. 

Ahhhh... didn’t even cross my mind. And to be honest, I didn’t read where this was, so I assumed TX, so pintail wasn’t on my radar. My mistake.