Whatbird Community

Hello all.  Not the best picture, but could this be a young Red-shouldered?   There were a lot of Red-taileds flying around too, and didn't get the greatest look at this one, so unsure.  Heavily cropped photo.

Downstate NY today.

rockwoodhawk1

The lack of dark patagial bars rules out Red-tailed.  I think it looks okay for a Red-shouldered, although I'd like more photos.

• Like 2

I'd go with young Red-shouldered for this one. Tail looks long for a Red-tailed, you can see the checkered wing pattern in the translucent part of its wings which look like the crescents good for a Red-shouldered also.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your input!!  I wish the photo had been sharper.  But even with the poor clarity, I did feel there should still be some evidence of the dark patagials if indeed this was a Red-tailed.  Also, it was flying alone, higher altitude, and towards open air, unlike the Red-taileds in the area which were all lollygagging around together in and out of the trees.

Here were the two other pictures, even though they go from bad to worse, but they might give some additional support:

DSC_0717 (2)DSC_0719 (2)